Blueberry Hand pies with Lemon Poppy Seed Crust
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) VERY cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cold FULL FAT Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- For the filling:
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the topping:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Turbinado sugar
- To make the crust:
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Add the butter, working it in with your hands to make a coarse meal mixture. The butter should still be in large, pea-sized pieces.
- Stir in the Greek yogurt, poppy seeds, and lemon zest; the dough will be shaggy. Turn it out onto a well floured work surface, and bring it together with a few quick kneads.
- Pat the dough into a 10 inch log, then roll it out into a 10" x 12" rectangle. Dust both sides of the dough lightly with flour, and starting with a shorter end, fold it in three - like a letter.
- Flip the dough over, and roll it again into a 10" x 12" rectangle. Fold it in three again.
- Wrap the dough in saran wrap, and chill for 45 minutes.
- To make the blueberry filling:
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook until the mixture starts to thicken, about 6 minutes. Transfer the berries to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Assembly and cooking:
- Preheat the oven to 425°(F). place a rack on the middle shelf. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into a large square, about 16" x 16". Using a pastry wheel cut out sixteen even squares. Don't worry if they're not exactly the same size. Just do the best you can ;)
- Divide the cooled filling among eight of the squares, using about a tablespoon and a half for each. Brush a little bit of the beaten egg wash along the edges of each filled square.
- Cut a vent (or heart!) into each of the remaining eight squares, using a decorative cutter, small knife, or bottle cap! You can really get creative here.
- Top each filled square with a vented square, and press along the edges with the front of a fork or a pie crust crimper; seal well!
- Brush the top of each pie with the remaining beaten egg, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Transfer the pies to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the pies for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Baker by Nature at https://bakerbynature.com/blueberry-hand-pies-with-lemon-poppy-seed-crust/