Peaches and Cream Scones
Yield 8 scones
Peaches and Cream Scones make an amazing breakfast or dessert!
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, VERY cold and cut into tiny pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh peaches, pitted and diced (peeled, optional)
For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon milk or water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Tiny pinch of salt (1/8 teaspoon or less)
- Preheat oven to 400°(F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and brown sugar; mix well to combine, making sure there are no large clumps of brown sugar left.
- Cut the butter into small cubes then work it into the mixture (using two forks or a pastry cutter) until lit resembles a coarse meal; set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, sour cream, and heavy cream. Add to flour/butter mixture and use a fork to stir everything together until just moistened.
- Add in the peaches and - using a rubber spatula - gently fold them into the dough.
- Empty the loose dough out onto a clean, floured work surface, then shape the dough into an 8-inch circle. You will need to knead the mixture a few times to get it to a workable texture.
- Cut the dough into 8 wedges and carefully transfer them to the prepared sheet, placing them 2" apart.
- Lightly brush each scone with the egg wash, then sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Allow scones to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet. In the meantime you can make your glaze.
For the glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk together the heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, vanilla (if using), and salt. Drizzle over semi-warm scones and serve at once.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Recipe by Baker by Nature at https://bakerbynature.com/peaches-and-cream-scones/