Sweet Potato and Apple Fritters with Smokey Chipotle Aioli and Fried Sage
- 6 slices of bacon, fried until crispy and crumbled
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatos, peeled
- 2 small apples, peeled and grated
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- salt and pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon each
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- For the Aioli:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup FULL FAT Greek Yogurt
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chipotle hot sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the fried sage:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the fritters:
- Fry bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels, then chop into tiny pieces; set aside.
- Coarsely grate potatoes, apples, and onion; drain well (you can do this by putting the mixture in cheesecloth or a clean hand towels and ringing it dry). Once dry add mixture to a large mixing bowl; add all of the remaining ingredients (including the bacon) and mix together until well combined.
- Cover and place mixture in the refrigerator to rest for 1 hour.
- When ready to fry:
- Pour oil into a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is sizzling, drop large spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and fry until golden brown on both sides and cooked in the middle, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat until all fritters have been fried.
- Drain fritters well on paper towels. Top with aioli and fried sage. Serve at once.
- For the aioli:
- Whisk sour cream and yogurt with garlic, lime juice, and chipotle hot sauce to taste. Season with salt and pepper; chill until ready to serve.
- For the fried sage:
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is sizzling hot, add the sage leaves. Fry for about 15 seconds, turning once with a slotted spoon or tongs (don't let the leaves brown).
- Transfer the leaves onto a paper towel-lined plate. The leaves will become crisp as they cool. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Recipe by Baker by Nature at https://bakerbynature.com/sweet-potato-apple-fritters-smokey-chipotle-aioli-fried-sage/