We all have our favorite fallbacks. Maybe it’s a place you retreat when things get tough. Or a person you can call and count on no matter what. Or a pair of flats that takes you from home to meeting to date with confidence and grace. Fallbacks are the backbone for getting through and getting on. For me, my most frequented fallback in the baking world is banana bread. It’s something special. I’m certain of it. It makes you feel at home, and sure, and able to relax. It’s sugary scent will seduce you into submission. It’s crusty lid and honey and milk interior will put you at ease, and talk you into eating just one more piece. For your own good, of course. Yes. This bread can do that!
Ok, so here’s the part where I confess to you that this milk and honey banana bread was inspired by my most recent… pedicure. Yep. I just said that. And while you wouldn’t typically put the two together, after getting my mangy little feet bathed in – wait for it – a bath of milk and honey, I couldn’t shake the idea of taking those two creamy ingredients and making them into something special. I was convinced it was the thing to do.
Banana bread! Of course. Thank goodness for banana bread! It tastes just like home and heaven.
Milk and honey banana bread for life!
Extra honey and bananas on top is a must. xoxo!
Milk and Honey Banana Bread
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and warm
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 large ripe bananas, smashed
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- For the topping:
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well to combine.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oil, warm melted butter, honey, and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and bananas.
- Fold in the dry ingredients all at once, stirring with a rubber spatula just until combined. Stir in milk, stirring until well combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Line the top of the batter with sliced bananas, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until the top is golden and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- *You can also make this into two smaller loaves and decrease the baking time.