I suspect by now most of you are on to me and my citrus addiction. But guess what guys?! There’s no stop in sight. No end that is near. No… um, I dunno. Basically what I’m saying is let’s ride this bright and cheery citrus train together, ok? I’ll bring the cake 😉
This cake is light, moist, and bursting with vibrant orange flavor. I also added a good handful of poppy seeds because they add a pretty color contrast to the interior, as well as a pleasant crunch. Good stuff!
The orange flavor is present in both the cake itself, as well as the simple orange glaze that gets drizzled on top. So luscious. I love it.
This cake is also made with Greek yogurt and olive oil, so the flavor is unique and lighter than your typical pound cake. A for sure good thing if you like to have more than one slice… And who doesn’t!?
Here’s the recipe. And have an awesome Tuesday xo
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup full-fat greek yogurt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large organic orange, zested and juiced; divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Generously grease a 8½ by 4¼ by 2½-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the sugar into a separate medium-sized mixing bowl and grate all the zest from the orange over top the bowl so it falls on the sugar. Rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is bright orange and fragrant. Slice the orange in half and squeeze its liquid into a glass measuring cup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the yogurt, eggs and vanilla. Add 1/2 of the orange juice, and stir to combine. Stir in sugar.
- Gently whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ones, stirring just until incorporated. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the oil, stirring until you're sure it’s all incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the top is golden and a cake tester comes out of the middle clean.
- *While the cake is baking, make your glaze! Simply whisk together the remaining orange juice and the powdered sugar till smooth.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan using the sides of the parchment paper. Place cake on a large sheet of parchment paper, then pour glaze over the top, letting it run down the sides.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature or serve warm (with ice cream?).