This Almond Amaretto Pound Cake is moist, buttery, and so flavorful! Topped with homemade Almond and Amaretto Cream Cheese Frosting and Slivered Almonds, it’s a total showstopper, too. Perfect for any celebration!
Almond Amaretto Pound Cake Recipe
While I’ve never actually drank amaretto, I LOVE baking with it! Last week I made you a batch of almond amaretto chocolate chunk cookies and this week, we’re making ALMOND AMARETTO POUND CAKE! And it’s a welcome addition to the cake archives. Because this bundt cake is the definition of perfect! It’s crumb is dense yet moist and super buttery. And the flavor is so rich and almondy, without being overpowering! And to top it all off, the cream cheese frosting is silky smooth and spiked with a shot of amaretto liqueur and a little almond extract. Then the cake is simply garnished with a handful of slivered almonds and it’s ready to be served.
It’s safe to say this amaretto cake is an almond lovers dream come true!!!
Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
How to make Amaretto Almond Bundt Cake?
It’s easy and basically foolproof! Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- butter! lots and lots of butter! this recipe calls for 12 ounces of it. this ingredient is essential!!! so please don’t reduce the amount. feel free to use salted or unsalted butter! just reduce the salt a bit in the dry ingredients if you’re using salted.
- cream cheese. this ingredient adds a ton of moisture and a delicate tang! definitely use full-fat cream cheese here!
- sugar. we use ALL granulated sugar! if all you have is brown sugar, it’ll probably be fine! but the color, taste, and texture will be a bit different than what you see here.
- eggs. you’ll use 5 large eggs for this cake. be sure they’ve come to room temperature before you add them to the batter! cold ingredients don’t bond.
- amaretto: use any brand you like! you can use any leftovers to make my easy amaretto chocolate truffles!
- almond extract: this adds a lovely almond flavor and really compliments the amaretto.
- flour: all-purpose! i have not tested this cake with other flour varieties, so I cannot advise.
- salt: to balance out the flavors.
- baking powder AND baking soda. both of these work to make our cake light and fluffy.
And that’s it! Just 9 basic ingredients needed for this amazing cake! All of the ingredients will be beaten together, in the order listed above, then scraped into a bundt cake pan and baked for 60 to 75 minutes! Be sure not to underbake this cake. It’s baked at a lower temperature – 325 degrees – so it will take longer than most cakes. But trust me, it’s worth the wait!!!
How to make Almond Cream Cheese Frosting
Making the frosting is a breeze! You’ll simply bring cream cheese and butter to room temperature, then beat them until they’re nice and fluffy. Add in confectioners’ sugar, then a splash of amaretto and almond extract, and finally a little heavy cream and a pinch of salt. Once all of the ingredients have been added, you’ll increase the mixer speed to medium-high and beat for a full two minutes. That final step is KEY to getting a fluffy frosting consistency.
Once your cake has completely cooled, frosting it is as easy as swiping the frosting on the tops and sides of the cake. Sprinkle with a handful of slivered almonds, and viola! You’re ready to slice and serve.
What tools do I need to bake this cake?
- This might be a no-brainer, but you will need a 12-cup bundt cake pan for this recipe. I have not tested this recipe using a different pan – such as a sheet pan or cupcake pan – so I cannot advise on how that would work.
- You’ll also need a stand mixer or electric hand mixer for this recipe! Unfortunately, the cake batter cannot be made without some kind of electric mixer.
- Of course you’ll also need some standard measuring cups and spoons, and a few spatulas. And that’s pretty much it!
How to store Almond Bundt Cake
This cake will keep, stored in an airtight container in the fridge, for up to 5 days!
How to Freeze Almond Amaretto Pound Cake
This almond pound cake will stay fresh, stored in the freezer, for up to 2 months! Simply bake and completely cool, then tightly wrap the entire cake in 3 layers of plastic wrap before placing it in the freezer. When you’re ready to serve, simply remove it from the freezer and place it in the fridge to thaw overnight. Frosted cakes do not freeze well!
More Almond Recipes:
More Cake Recipes:
- Lemon Raspberry Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Swirl Coffee Cake
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE FOR ALMOND AMARETTO POUND CAKE COOKIES, LET ME KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND DON’T FORGET TO SNAP A PIC AND TAG IT #BAKERBYNATURE ON INSTAGRAM! SEEING YOUR KITCHEN CREATIONS MAKES OUR DAY.
Almond Amaretto Pound Cake
Yield 9" Bundt Cake
This Almond Amaretto Pound Cake is moist, buttery, and so flavorful! Topped with homemade Almond and Amaretto Cream Cheese Frosting and Slivered Almonds, it's a total showstopper, too. Perfect for any celebration!
For the Almond Amaretto Pound Cake:
- 2 and 1/2 cups (10 and 1/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups (14 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
For the Almond Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces full-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 and 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted, more if needed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (tiny pinch!)
- 1 Tablespoon amaretto liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- Slivered almonds
For the Almond Amaretto Pound Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Generously grease a 10-inch (12-cup) bundt pan, being sure to coat all of the nooks and crannies. I suggest using a non-stick baking spray that has flour in it, or greasing the pan with shortening or butter, then dusting it with flour. Set pan aside until needed.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; whisk well to combine then set aside until needed.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Gradually add in the sugar, then increase the speed to medium-high and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the amaretto and almond extract.
- Reduce the speed back to medium, then add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Reduce the speed to low and add in the flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Turn mixer off.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan, set on a wire rack, for 20 minutes. Then invert the cake onto the rack and cool completely.
For the Almond Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-speed until completely smooth. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add in the confectioners' sugar, beating until all of the sugar is completely combined. Add in the salt, amaretto, and almond extract and beat smooth. Beat in the heavy cream. Once all of the ingredients have been incorporated, increase the speed to medium-high and beat for two minutes.
- Spread frosting on the top and sides of the cooled cake. Top with slivered almonds. Slice and serve, or store in an airtight container in the fridge, for up to 5 days.