This is the sauce you make to say “I love you” with no words.
This is the sauce you make to say “Maybe I am a little too jealous, and read into things a little too much, and am ridiculously passive aggressive… but look – I made you this sauce because I think your really neat and special and cute”
This is the sauce you slather on chicken or ribs or tofu and wait for the high fives to start rolling your way. They’re gonna be rolling in heavy – be prepared.
This is the sauce that had single men in their 30’s talking about marriage, albeit not the one I want, but still – damn good sauce.
This is the sauce to salute Summer and send it off with warm memories and satisfied stomachs.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons mild (light) molasses
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 11/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Bring all ingredients to boil in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer until sauce is reduced to 2 cups, stirring often, about 10 minutes. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Cover; chill. Use at room temperature.