It’s crazy how delicious a few simple ingredients sizzled together can be! Can you believe this recipe only calls for 8 ingredients?! And that’s including the olive oil and hot sauce, y’all! I know. And look at the results!!! Suuuuuuch a STUNNER.
Crispy eggplant… sweet tomatoes… fresh herbs… and decadently drippy poached eggs…
What more could we ask for on a breakfast plate?!
Time to DIG IN!!! Enjoy xoxo
Crispy Eggplant and Tomato Breakfast Hash
- 1/2 cup olive oil; divided
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 container cherry tomatoes (about 1/2 pound if buying loose)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco hot sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced
- 2-4 large eggs, poached or fried
- Salt and pepper
- Dice eggplant into small cubes. Place diced eggplant on a double layer of paper towels, sprinkle generously with salt, and set aside for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes the eggplant should be very wet (I call this eggplant sweat). Use another double layer of paper towels to press down on the eggplant, extracting as much liquid as possible. Repeat process. *I know this seems repetitive, but the drier the eggplant, the crispier it will get!
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high flame. Add eggplant, stir to coat, and let cook, untouched, for 3 minutes. Carefully flip the eggplant and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes - untouched. Once golden brown and crispy, remove eggplant from the pan with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a clean plate close by.
- Add the remaining 1/4 of oil, and then add the tomatoes. Cook on medium-high for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are blistered and bursting. Return eggplant to pan, stir in hot sauce, and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in chopped herbs. Remove pan from heat. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide hash among plates, and top with eggs. Serve with hot sauce!