Nutella & Cream Cheese Pie Pops
- For the Pie Crust:
- 2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, cut into tiny cubes
- For the Filing:
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces Nutella or other hazelnut spread
- For the Coating:
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sugar for sprinkling
- For the Pie Crust:
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add the butter and cream cheese, working it in to make a coarse/crumbly mixture, leaving most of the butter and cream cheese in large, pea-sized pieces.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, and bring it together with a few quick kneads.
- Pat the dough into a rough 10" log, flour the top lightly, then roll it into an 10" x 10" rectangle. Dust both sides of the dough with flour, then fold it in three like a letter.
- Flip the dough over, sprinkle lightly with flour, then roll it again into an 8" x 10" rectangle. Fold it in three again. Wrap the dough, and chill for at least 1 hour before using.
- Once the dough is ready:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F).
- Roll the dough out into a 16" x 16" square; it should be about 1/4 inch thick. Using a small round cutter (I used a 2 1/2 inch wide biscuit cutter), cut out as many rounds as possible, making sure you keep an even number.
- Place about 1/2 teaspoon of nutella and a 1/2 teaspoon of cream cheese on half of the cut-outs, leaving about 1/4 inch boarder so there's no leaking while they bake.
- Place a lollipop stick in the center of each filled shape, making sure the top of the stick is secure and not poking through the dough.
- Using a pastry brush wet the edges of each filled pie crust with a small amount of the egg wash. Then repeat the process with the unfilled cut-outs, just lightly coating the edges with egg wash before gently pressing it on top a filled one. Use a fork to crimp the edges. Repeat until all the dough shapes have been filled and sealed.
- Place the pie pops on a large baking sheet, then add a light coating of egg wash to each pie before sprinkling with sugar. With a small sharp knife make a tiny x on each pie.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the pies are light golden. Cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cool, store in an airtight container or package in individual cellophane bags.
Recipe by Baker by Nature at https://bakerbynature.com/nutella-cream-cheese-pie-pops/