I’m so ready for Summer, you guys. I’m ready for sandals and shorts, beach blown hair, the smell of salt lingering on my skin after a day on the sand. I’m ready for long days in the park reading next to the best guy ever (mine… hehe!), hazy strolls to the market, and having the luxury to swipe up all of my favorite produce in one swoop, because guess what – they’re all in season! But most of all, I’m just ready for the damn berries! I miss berry season so so much.
Last weekend I found myself with a freezer full of odds and ends that I want to shake down and use up, and among those random oddballs, was an enormous family-sized bag of frozen strawberries I must have bought at some point…
I truly don’t know where half the stuff I own comes from. But there they were! Ya know? So I made a smoothie out of the first half, and I sliced the other half up to give us a little peep of what Summer has in store.
Bright, fresh, flavorful cake! Studded with strawberries and drenched in a light lemon glaze. Swoon. I’m in love.
The interior of this cake is beyond moist and just bursting with toothy poppy seeds and soft, sweet strawberries. It’s a dream!
The exterior is slightly crunchy, but that’s exactly what you want since there is a glaze involved! We don’t want soggy cake happening. Oh, no no no. However if you’re totally opposed to a crunch lid (give-it-a-try!), you can always cover the cake with tin foil tent right around the halfway mark, and it will have a softer exterior. Both ways are a delicious happy ending.
This cake would be beautiful on any brunch table, and I’m thinking it will certainly be coming home with me for Easter. Because oh did I mention how it travels like a dream? Yup. It does. Go on and make sure you have your poppy seeds ready 🙂 xoxo
Strawberry Poppy Seed Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, at room temperature (liquified)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Zest of one lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F).
- Grease and flour a large (I used a 10" pan) loaf pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large separate bowl mix together the melted butter, oil, sugar, and lemon zest. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the milk, Greek yogurt, and vanilla, mixing well to combine. Stir in dry ingredients, stirring until well combine and no large clumps are visible.
- Stir in strawberries and vanilla.
- Carefully pour batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula.
- Place pan in the center of the oven and bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 20 minutes before cutting. Serve with fresh strawberries and ice cream (optional, but wonderful!).
- While the cake is cutting, make the glaze!
- In a large bowl combine the lemon juice and sugar; whisk until combined. Add the milk and mix until smooth. Pour glaze over the cooled cake before cutting.