Cranberry Sauce, Bacon, and Gorgonzola Pastry Puff Pizza!!!
You guys — this pizza is soooooo good. It’s earthy, sweet, salty, cheesy, and just all around lovely. It’s also super simple to whip up! Which is really great if you’re feeling both hungry and lazy. I experience both of those feelings basically 24/7.
We ate these sweet and savory little pizza puffs for dinner last night (along with green bean casserole, sweet and spicy delicata squash, and a bottle of pinot noir) and I must say the combination of flaky buttery crust, bold melted cheese, salty bacon, and tart cranberry is the perfect way to end a day!
I also (weirdly, maybe?) think this Cranberry Sauce, Bacon, and Gorgonzola Pastry Puff Pizza could be a great breakfast or lunch treat! When I was testing the recipe I saved half of the final batch so we could taste them at room temperature as well as cold, and they actually taste great all three ways! So feel free to serve these hot, cold, or somewhere in between 😉
- 2 whole Sheets of Frozen Puffed Pastry
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, For Brushing
- 2 cups cranberry sauce (homemade or store bought, just be sure to mix it until it's smooth)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked through but not too crispy
- 8 ounces gorgonzola cheese
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Rosemary, chopped
- *Thaw the puffed pastry on the counter for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F).
- Once thawed, carefully open the sheets of pastry. Using a sharp knife slice them in half, straight down the middle. Place the pastry on a large baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicon baking mat; set aside.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through but not crispy (the bacon will crisp up in the oven). Once cooked chop bacon into small pieces; set aside.
- Lightly brush the olive oil over the top of each pastry piece.
- Spread 1/3 cup of cranberry sauce down the middle of each pastry (more or less to suit your taste) then add the bacon, cheese, and red onion (dividing the toppings evenly among the pastry pizzas). Pop the pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Sprinkle hot from the oven pizzas with rosemary (just about 1/2 teaspoon per pizza).
- Allow pizzas to rest 5 minutes before cutting and serving.