This healthy blueberry banana bread is so moist, tender, and tasty – you’d never guess it’s lightened up! Perfect for guilt-free snacking. No fancy ingredients or complicated steps… just good old fashioned blueberry packed banana bread yumminess. Yes!
Although saying goodbye to vacation is never easy, one of the things I do look forward to on our ride home is the fact that we pass TONS of farm stands selling the freshest of the fresh Summer fruits and veg. It’s our on-the-road again silver lining. We stop every year on our way home to pack the car FULL of tomatoes, berries, peaches, and peppers… and this year I went a little bit CRAZY on the berries. Blueberries! To be exact. They were so plump, juicy, and only 99 cents a bin! I wanted them ALL.
And all of them I bought. Well, almost. We came home with berries for days, and I immediately went into the “omg what should we do with all of these” mindset. After finding a batch of bananas we had forgot about sitting on top of the fridge, I just knew. Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread. It was fate.
This healthy blueberry banana bread is lightened up by using whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and applesauce! And don’t worry – you can’t taste the coconut or apple sauce 😉 It just adds moisture to the bread, and helps keep things nice and tender. I have also made this recipe with olive oil and found it equally as enjoyable! So feel free to give that a try if you don’t have coconut oil on hand.
One last thing! Please be sure to use VERY ripe bananas when making this. This recipe only has a 1/2 cup of sugar, so the sweet, mushy bananas are key to making everything jive 😉
If you try this recipe for Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bakerbynature on instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day ♥
Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (you may use all purpose, or a mix of the two, but it will loose some of it's *health value)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar OR light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup coconut OR olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 VERY ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (will yield about 1 and 1/4 cups of mashed banana)
- 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Butter and flour a loaf pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, apple sauce, eggs and vanilla until just blended. Stir in the mashed bananas and blueberries. Add the dry ingredients and stir *just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, place in the oven, and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean - about 1 hour. Cool for 15 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.