Hello friends! I hope you’re enjoying this beautiful day (or night) wherever you are in the world. I’m currently having a quick cup of joe before a little birthday yoga, and then – a day at the beach! The beach has always been my happy place, so I’m pretty excited to spend the whole day there celebrating in the sun, eating lots of good pizza, and just maybe slurping down a few margaritas. My perfect day 🙂
Of course, I couldn’t head off to sea without sharing these epic donut sundaes with you! They’re so-so-SO easy to make, but totally look (and taste) like they’ve been assembled by a team of professionals. Total dessert trickery!
The base of this dessert is a sweet and sugary snickerdoodle donut. It’s made with brown butter (always and forever) and baked up right in your oven! No frying here!!! That means less mess and less calories. Amen!
While the donuts bake away (they will make your house smell like heaven), you can make your 10 minute – no candy thermometer needed – salted caramel sauce. I opted to add a shot of bourbon in this because, well, it’s my birthday, but also because, why not?! Bourbon in caramel is dreamy, and if you keep a bottle around the house, toss a little in and see what I mean. If you don’t have bourbon, you can still make this caramel! Just add an extra teaspoon of vanilla 😉
Once both donuts and caramel are good to go, all you need is a few scoops of vanilla (I totally used store-bought), some sweet banana slices, and a handful of walnuts. Layer the ice cream on top of the donut, the caramel on top of the ice cream, and the bananas and walnuts EVERYWHERE. Now it’s time to dig in!!! Enjoy xoxo
Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Donuts à la mode with Bourbon Salted Caramel, Walnuts, and Bananas
For the donuts:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted until browned
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
For rolling donuts:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 pint vanilla bean ice cream
- 3 large bananas, sliced
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Lightly grease a doughnut pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together the sour cream and egg, gently fold them into the dry mixture. Pour brown butter into the mixture and fold together until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared doughnut pan, and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Allow doughnuts to cool a few minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire wrack to cool for a few more minutes. Once cool to the touch, dip each donut in the melted butter, then roll them in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Return them to the wire until needed.
For the caramel:
- Combine the butter, heavy cream, sugar, and salt in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Place pan over medium-high high, and, stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Be sure to break up any chunks of sugar with the whisk! Once the mixture has reached a boil, stir well once more, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bourbon, if using, and vanilla - carefully, as the mixture will bubble up as you do this - whisk together, and boil for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour mixture into a heatproof glass container.
- Place a donut on a small serving plate or bowl. Top with a few scoops of ice cream, some banana slices, walnuts, and caramel. Serve at once!