Do you love donuts? Do you love coconut? If you’re shaking your head YES and Yes – then these glazed coconut donuts are for you! Generously coated in a sweet coconut glaze and topped with toasted coconut flakes, these are sure to be a new favorite!
It’s the first week of October and I couldn’t be happier! I love Fall. And I have to admit, despite my efforts to resist the charms of “country living”, Autumn upstate just oozes loveliness. The leaves are already changing colors, and as of this morning, we can no longer snooze with the windows thrown wide open. It wasn’t chilly waking up – no,no,no – it was cold! Thank goodness for big cups of coffee and fresh from the oven donuts.
I made these gorgeously glazed coconut donuts last weekend when C was out of town, and basically inhaled the entire half dozen while watching The Mindy Project… and by basically, I mean totally. I totally ate ALL of the donuts during a 2 day Mindy marathon. There was also lots of red wine and homemade Chinese food. Those three combined were the perfect cure for missing my boy! Moral of the story: never underestimate the magical powers a half-dozen donuts can do 😉
Ok, ok. So let’s get down to business. The donut nitty gritty. The need-to-know details! First up, the donut base! The light, pillowy soft base of these donuts is made up of a few simple ingredients I bet you already have in your pantry! Flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, an egg, a smidge of coconut oil, and coconut milk. That’s it! Isn’t amazing how such simple ingredients can produce such a perfect product? I love that.
Moving onto the glaze. Drippy drip drip – yessss. This glaze is a such a seducer! I may have accidently taste-tested 1/2 of the bowl before dipping my first donut. #Guilty…
The good news is that this glaze is so dang easy to make you won’t think twice about making a second batch. All you do is add a little coconut milk to a big bowl of confectioners’ sugar, and stir. Yep. Unbelievably simple! UNBELIEVABLY delish. I call that a big fat win.
Once you’ve dipped your donuts, they get a quick coating of toasted coconut, before taking a turn straight for your face! Seriously, don’t waste any time getting your eat on with these babies. They’re best served – and eaten – right away 😉
*But they will last in an airtight container for up to 2 days xoxo
Glazed Coconut Donuts
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Lightly grease a doughnut pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together the coconut milk, coconut oil, and egg. Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture - don't over mix!
- Spoon mixture into prepared doughnut pan, and bake for 10-11 minutes, or until the doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Allow doughnuts to cool a few minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire wrack to cool for a few more minutes.
- For the glaze:
- Combine coconut milk and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl wide enough for dipping the donuts. Mix until the mixture has been fully combined. Add a touch more milk if the glaze seems too thick; add a touch more sugar if the glaze seems too thin.
- Dip the top of each donut in the glaze, then dip the glazed donut in the toasted coconut. Repeat with all donuts.