You guys… you gotta make these cookies. Now.
I bake a lot (obviously), but these simple lemon and coconut laden sugar cookies may be the best thing I’ve made all year. And I type that with great hesitance. There have been some great recipes this year! And some really bad ones that shall never grace these pages. But, despite them all, these cookies are the ones I want to come home to after a long day. These cookies are the ones I’ll run an extra mile for as long as they promise to let me call them breakfast and dessert. It feels good to have a recipe like that! Especially one that goes from dough to dessert-time in less than 30 minutes.
The base of these cookies involves the usual suspects (sugar, flour, eggs) and a few new friends to liven things up. These friends include cream cheese, coconut oil, and a hearty punch of lemon zest. Lemon zest is my obsession right now. So ya know, you’ve been warned.
These cookies get rolled around in a shimmery sheet of sugar before entering the oven to do their business. Don’t skip the sugar step, either! It may seem excessive, but that little step ensures a sweet, crispy shell you don’t want to rob yourself of. I promise.
These cookies are soft in the middle with delightfully chewy edges and a kick of lemon coconut flavor you’ll come crawling back to cookie after cookie. Again – you’ve been warned! xoxo
P.S. If you want an extra pop of color, a little lemon zest on top goes a long way in the pretty department 🙂
Lemon Coconut Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, plus extra for rolling the cookies in
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 oz cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp + 1 teaspoon whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 (F).
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a large bowl add the sugar and lemon zest, and rub together until fragrant.
- Add the cream cheese to the bowl, then pour the warm butter over it and whisk to combine. It will be slightly lumpy; that's ok.
- Whisk in coconut oil, mix well, then add the egg, milk and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Add flour mixture and mix with a scraper spatula until dough forms.
- Make two-tablespoon sized balls with the dough, rolling each ball gently in your hands for a nice round shape.
- Pour about a 1/4 cup of sugar in a shallow bowl and gently roll each ball of dough in it, before placing on baking sheet.
- Once they are on the baking sheets, flatten each cookie gently with the palm of your hand. Sprinkle a little sugar on top of each one cookie.
- Bake 11-13 minutes, until edges are just set. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.