I haven’t always been the biggest fan of strawberry shortcake. As a child I was traumatized by those horrific little spongey shortcake shells they sell pre-packaged in the fruit section of most grocery stores, and for years after that the only thought that came to mind when I heard an offering of strawberry shortcake was “NOOOOOOOO“. Me… dramatic? Maybe just a tad 😉
But when I was in my early twenties I worked at a cute little bakery and everything changed! I noticed their strawberry shortcake situation involved a big, flaky biscuit… and ice cream… and TONS of strawberries… and whipped cream, too. Pssssh! Now that’s what I’m talking about. I totally wanted it.
This past weekend I got a really bad craving for said epic shortcake, and just knew it was time to buckle down in the baking department and make it happen! I scaled this recipe down to make just enough for two (or four if you’re really good at sharing), but I think it could easily be doubled if you wanted to experiment with making a larger batch. But for us, two is just perfect.
Quick and Easy Strawberry Shortcake for Two
- 1 cup strawberries, cleaned, hulled, and thinly sliced
- whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cold coconut oil OR shortening
- 2 tablespoons Whole milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large scoops vanilla bean ice cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (F). Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the sliced strawberries with a 1/2 tablespoon of sugar and the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Add the cold coconut oil or shortening into the dry ingredients and using your hands work it into the mixture quickly until it resembles a coarse meal. Add in the milk and sour cream and mix the dough with your hands just until combined. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a circle, patting it to about 1/2 inch in thickness.
- Place biscuits on prepared pan and bake for about 10 minutes; or until golden brown. Let cool slightly, then top with ice cream, strawberries and whipped cream! Serve at once 🙂