What we have right here is another installment of “Ashley LOVES brunch food and feels the need to share it all with you.” This is going to be happening a lot now that the weather is beginning to behave itself and the farmer’s markets are starting to shine – or at least… sparsely sparkle – with vibrant pops of color. Color is such a beautiful thing! Yesterday on my (very rainy) walk home from yoga I found a few mangy – but usable – radishes, and a ton of fresh herbs at the Saturday Green Market, and I literally ran home to put them to use. And by now, I’m sure you know running is not something I’m exactly prone to doing without great reason. Read: I was very, very hungry. And very, very wet. I do believe the “Spring showers” have begun.
Once I was home and mildly dry, I remembered we had a gorgeous slab of smoked salmon in the fridge and got VERY excited. Smoked salmon will never feel less than luxurious to me, and I treasure those times we have it “on hand”. After a quick search I realized we didn’t have cream cheese – womp, womp – but did have greek yogurt and a tiny little jar of wasabi powder. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?! Yes. A creamy wasabi spread! It beats plain ol’ cream cheese black and blue.
And so that’s really it. Good, crunchy bread topped with a creamy wasabi kickin’ spread, then piled high with smoked salmon, fresh herbs, and a un-skippable sprinkle of lemon zest. BOOM! Bright, light, flavor heaven. And all on toast. This is brunch! And maybe my new favorite way to snack.
These little tartines are perfect for brunch/ breakfast, but also fancy (and simple enough) to consider a great candidate for your Easter/ Mother’s Day spread. Just in case your still looking for ideas in that department 😉
Smoked Salmon Tartines with Fresh Herbs, Radishes, and Creamy Wasabi Spread
- Serves 4; double as needed
- 4 pieces of bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste (made from dry wasabi powder; follow instructions on the can)
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup radishes, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- Fresh lemon juice and lemon zest, from about 2 large lemons
- Salt and pepper
- Toast bread well; set aside on a large clean serving platter.
- In a small bowl whisk together the greek yogurt, salt, and half of the wasabi paste. Taste a small amount, then adjust seasoning as needed.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon the yogurt mixture on each slice of toast, then top with smoked salmon, radishes, fresh herbs, and lemon juice/ zest. Sprinkle light with salt and pepper. Cut in half, and serve at once!