The Tequila Healer is a homemade cocktail infused with fresh ginger, lemon, lime, and mint! It’s so easy and insanely refreshing!
This is one of those cocktails I wish I’d discovered years ago! It’s super flavorful, so refreshing, and – hallelujah – not too sweet. And it’s so totally what we need to be sipping on this Summer! Be it in the sun, the shade, or just in the refuge of your air-conditioned room… this pretty little drink should be part of your at-home happy hour plan! It’s also a fun addition to picnics and barbecues. Just beware of open container policies (seriously: I once saw woman get a $500.00 fine for enjoying some wine in the park. OUCH).
Bonus: with the help of lemon wheels and mint sprigs, this cocktail can pass for a SUPER fancy recipe your friends will think took you forever to prepare.
In reality? This drink couldn’t be easier! And you can even prepare 99.9% of it ahead of time.
And for those of you wondering why I named this pretty little cocktail the tequila healer, my answer is simple: I find this drink soothing, refreshing, and pretty darn healthy (for a cocktail). It also tends to heal my attitude after a bad day (haha). But you’ll just have to try it yourself and see how it works for you!
Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success:
- The first step in this recipe is making a simple syrup. You will need fresh mint sprigs and ginger. Dried mint and powdered ginger will not work! You’ll also need to steep the simple syrup for 30 minutes, so be sure to plan ahead time wise.
- You’ll need a fine mesh strainer for this recipe!
- For the best flavor, using fresh lemon and lime juice is essential! Bottle juices will not yield the same results. So be sure to buy enough citrus, plus extra for garnish! And while you’re add it, you may want to buy extra mint. It’s so pretty tucked on the side of each glass. But that parts totally optional 🙂
- The simple syrup will “keep”, stored in the fridge, for up to 3 days! So feel free to make this ahead of time and enjoy later. I almost always have a container in my fridge. #noshameinmygame
P.S. I’ve made this drink a million and one times without the tequila, and it is absolutely dreamy! So if booze isn’t your thing (or you’re unable to consume it right now), feel free to leave it out and enjoy it as a mocktail! Also, a reader told recently told me she made BOOZY popsicles using this recipe and I figured I’d share in case that sounds like something you’d be into. I’m definitely trying it ASAP!
Cheers, my friend!
If you try this recipe for The Tequila Healer, please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bakerbynature on instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day ♥
The Tequila Healer
- 10 sprigs of fresh mint (not 10 leaves, the whole sprig, baby!)
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger, grated
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 cup white tequila
- In a large, heat proof bowl combine mint sprigs and ginger; add boiling water and let steep 30 minutes. Strain mixture into a large glass serving pitcher, being sure not to let any large chunks of ginger or mint pass through.
- Add lemon and lime juice (the mixture will pick up a slightly pink color at this point) and cold water. Stir in maple syrup. Cover and refrigerate under ready to serve. Right before serving stir in tequila. Pour over ice and serve at once! Cheers 🙂
- Fill glasses with ice cubes. Add lemonade. Garnish with mint leaves and lemon slices and serve.