Made with freshly squeezed lime juice, orange juice, orange liqueur, tequila, and just a touch of honey, this is the Best 5 Minute Margarita Recipe you’ll ever make! One of the most popular cocktails in the world, and perfect for those hot Summer days! So without further ado, let’s make my perfect homemade margaritas!
Classic Margarita Recipe
It’s no secret that I love a good cocktail! And as the weather warms up, I find myself craving something cold, crisp, and utterly refreshing! I also want something that comes together FAST! Because when the weather is gorgeous, I want to be outside… and not messing around in the kitchen for too long!
And that’s where my favorite margarita recipe comes into the picture! It’s cold, refreshing, and not too sweet. Plus, it’s ready in a jiffy! You literally just dump everything into a cocktail shaker and shake shake shake! Then pour over more ice and viola! You have a delicious cocktail ready to be enjoyed!
And I promise you, anyone can master this recipe! It’s insanely easy and totally adaptable. So if you prefer your drink more on the sweet side, feel free to up the sweetener! Or if you don’t like it sweet at all, feel free to totally eliminate it! That said, I always recommend making the recipe “as-is” the first time around, because you may be surprised by how much you love it! I don’t love sweet drinks at all, but actually prefer adding the agave or honey to this recipe because it cuts the acidity and sharpness of the lime.
Best Tequila for Margaritas
Feel free to use whatever tequila you love, but personally, I love Casamigos Blanco. It’s clean and fresh and just makes a delicious marg! That said, Patron silver is a close second. And 1800 silver tequila is also delicious!
Triple Sec vs Orange Liqueur
I’m not gonna lie, I hate triple sec and I think it totally ruins a good margarita. After years of bartending professionally, and at home, I can tell you that Grand Marnier and Cointreau are the best options. Yes, they are definitely more expensive than triple sec. But a bottle will last you ages and is a worthy investment if you enjoy a good cocktail.
Fresh Lime Juice is a Must
Please please please do not use lime juice from a can or plastic container! Most home cooks already know this, but it’s worth repeating! Using bottled lime juice is almost as bad as using store-bought margarita mixes! Fresh lime juice is what gives a margarita it’s fresh flavor, so make sure to stock up, and buy enough to garnish each drink with a lime wedge or two!
To salt or not to salt?
Totally up to you! Some people swear by a salt rimmed glass, while others are repulsed by the thought. The good news? It’s easy to customize each drink based on the person consuming its preferences. If I’m serving a crowd, I’ll usually just put a plate with lime wedges and salt out on the table, and let people do their thing! You can also put out sugar, for a fun twist!
Can I make this skinny?
I know a lot of people are obsessed with the skinny margarita, so I wanted to offer an option for that here! You can definitely omit the honey and orange liqueur, and add in orange juice instead. Will it be just as delicious? Honestly, no. It’ll be an orange margarita of sorts, and it won’t have that classic margarita taste. But it’s still a very delicious option for those who want the option!
This recipe is adaptable and can easily be multiplied, so feel free to play around with it until it’s your perfect drink! And enjoy – responsibly, of course!
What to serve with Margaritas
Now that you have the cocktail recipe down, here’s a few of our favorite Mexican-inspired recipes that pair amazing with margaritas!
- My Favorite Avocado Salsa
- Spicy Mango Guacamole
- Veggie Fajita Quinoa Casserole
- Creamy Avocado Dip
- Healthy Black Bean, Mango, and Guacamole Tacos
- The Best Breakfast Quesadillas
More Margarita Recipes:
- Easy Pomegranate Margaritas
- Fresh Peach Margaritas
- Raspberry Mango Margaritas
- The Best Fresh Mango Margaritas (one of our favorite frozen margarita recipes ever!)
- Fresh Cherry Margaritas
- Strawberry Mango Margaritas
Best 5 Minute Margarita Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave (be sure it's a liquid honey, not the thicker raw variety)
- 1.5 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1.5 ounces Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed orange juice (optional)
- Place hot water and honey or agave in a cocktail shaker and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add in the lime juice, tequila, orange liqueur, and orange juice. Shake vigorously to combine.
- Fill a glass with ice. Pour the margarita on top of the ice, garnish with a lime twist or wedge, and serve at once.
- If you prefer a salt-rimmed glass, running the flesh of a lime wedge around the top rim of your glass. Then fill a rimmed plate or shallow bowl with salt, and dip the rim of the glass into the salt until it is covered with salt. Set aside while you make your drink.
- If you use Grand Marnier, your margarita will have a slightly more orange hue.