The Best Blueberry Crisp Recipe is super easy and so good with a scoop of ice cream on top! Tastes like blueberry pie, but is way easier. It’s the perfect Summer dessert!
Blueberry Crisp Recipe
What tastes just like blueberry pie but is a million times quicker and easier to bake? Blueberry crisp! And if you’re a blueberry fanatic like me, you’ll appreciate that this recipe can be made with fresh or frozen blueberries. Meaning it can easily be made year round! We had a few pounds of Wild Maine blueberries in our freezer, which is what I used. But the plumper “regular” variety of blueberries will work just fine. Or use a combination of both!
What is blueberry crisp?
Blueberry crisp is a popular American dessert that’s easy to make and tastes a lot like blueberry crumb pie, minus the pie crust. It consists of a juicy blueberry filling and buttery crumb topping. The two are layered and then baked until the berries have softened and the topping has browned. The result? A juicy blueberry dessert with a crisp buttery topping. If you’ve never tried it before, do yourself a favor and give berry crisp a try. With a scoop of ice cream on top, I know you won’t regret it!
What’s the difference between a crisp and a cobbler?
Cobblers, crumbles, and crisps are all American-style baked desserts that consist of a fruit filling that’s topped with some variety of pastry. The main difference between them all is what they’re topped with. A cobbler is typically topped with a biscuit like dough. While a crisp or crumble is topped with a butter based streusel.
- Blueberries: Use fresh blueberries, frozen blueberries, or a combination of both! Don’t have blueberries? I bet almost any frozen berry would work! Or try making my salted caramel apple crisp.
- Cornstarch: 1 Tablespoon will thicken the blueberry filling so it’s not too thin and soupy.
- Granulated Sugar: Just a few Tablespoons to enhance the berries natural sweetness.
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats: Give the crisp topping texture!
- All-Purpose Flour: Flour + Oats thicken the topping and make it nice and crispy.
- Brown Sugar: Adds moisture and sweetness.
- A Pinch of Cinnamon: For a subtle spice.
- And Butter: For flavor. It should be at room temperature! Melted butter will not work well.
And that’s it! You only need 8 basic ingredients to make this yummy berry crisp! Of course you’ll also want to have some ice cream or whipped cream on hand. A scoop or dollop on top makes this easy blueberry crisp extra delicious!
How to make Blueberry Crisp
- First thing you’ll want to do is preheat oven to 375. Then, in a large bowl, toss blueberries with dry ingredients (cornstarch and sugar) until well coated. Pour into a square baking dish or 2 quart pie plate and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add in the cubed butter and work until the mixture resembles a coarse meal and the butter is in pea size clumps.
- Scatter the crisp topping on top of the blueberries, then place the pan in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Serve warm, with ice cream or whipped cream.
Not sure what to make for dessert tonight? Blueberry Crisp is your answer! So preheat your oven and bake this tonight! This blueberry crisp is serves a crowd and is best eaten warm from the oven. So invite a few friends over to enjoy this with you. And tell them to bring the ice cream lol. Enjoy!
More Blueberry Recipes:
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE FOR THE BEST BLUEBERRY CRISP, LET ME KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND DON’T FORGET TO SNAP A PIC AND TAG IT #BAKERBYNATURE ON INSTAGRAM! SEEING YOUR KITCHEN CREATIONS MAKES OUR DAY.
The Best Blueberry Crisp
For the Blueberry Filling:
- 6 cups blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 and 1/2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
For the Crisp Topping:
- 4 ounces salted butter, cut into cubes, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, optional, for topping
For the Blueberry Filling:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F).
- In a large bowl combine the blueberries, cornstarch, and granulated sugar. Toss well, making sure the berries are well coated in the dry ingredients. Pour blueberries into the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
For the Crisp Topping:
- Cut butter into cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, both sugars, cinnamon, and flour. Add in the cubed butter and, using two forks or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Sprinkle topping over blueberries.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the blueberries have begun to burst and release their juices and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm from the oven, with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Squirdle game says
Ashley I literally just finished this and OMG! My family loved it 🙂
Can you make it a night before and warm it the next day for dinner?
Can this be made ahead and then reheated?
Amazing recipe! Will try again but with frozen berries. Do I need to thaw them first? Thank you
Ashley Manila says
Nope! No need to thaw!
Rita Beall says
How many calories per serving
This recipe was so easy and delicious. I was looking for a single serving dessert to whip up late at night, and this one was just perfect. Will be adding to my recipe box 🙂
Really really loved this one-it was as easy as it says! And equally delicious. Loved it
Has anyone tried to freeze this fresh, summer time treat?
This was delicious. The filling wasn’t too sweet and was nicely contrasted with the sweeter topping. I found the addition of some orange zest in the topping just gave it an extra pop. Thank you.