So… Caramel Corn!!! Isn’t it totally the best? Especially when, in this case at least, it’s really a whiskey ginger in disguise? That’s right. Can you say grown up snack perfection?!
Cause that’s what this is!
These perfectly popped kernels of corn are tossed with a seductive whiskey / ginger spiked caramel sauce that is sure to give you that MIND-BLOWN feeling after one bite (er, handful). It’s the truth.
The whiskey/ ginger flavor is subtle, and definitely not overpowering. It just sort of lingers in the background, letting you eat handful after handful, savoring its unique flavor and boozy glow.
Also – and I’ll be straight with you here – these caramel-y clusters are MEGA addicting, so don’t feel guilty if you just so happen to eat 3/4 of the batch before your husband comes home. It’s ok! Things like this happen 😉 Maybe make a back up bag just in case, and you’ll be all good. Happy popping, y’all!
Whiskey Ginger Caramel Corn
- 12 cups popped popcorn (nothing added to it)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Spray the parchment with cooking spray; set aside.
- Place popcorn in a VERY large bowl coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small saucepan add the brown sugar, butter, honey, molasses, ginger(s), cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Once boiling allow the caramel to boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Stir in vanilla and whiskey. Quickly pour over popcorn and mix well.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet and quickly spread out into a flat sheet, working as quickly as possible since the caramel will harden quickly.
- Allow caramel to set for one hour, then eat! Although between you and I, the caramel corn WARM is equally dreamy. Just a little messier 😉