French toast has been tempting me for weeks now. I’ve seen it on a few brunch menus and always find myself thinking “Mmmm, I gotta make that at home!”… and yet somehow, the minute the menu exits the table, so does my ferocious french toasting ambition. I’m the kind of person who needs to write things down or else ideas just go POOF! Luckily for us, the last time we were out at brunch, I not only remembered to write it down, I set an alarm in my dang calendar. Yep. Totally set a date with french toast. Best move ever.
Just be warned! This caramelized chocolate coconut frenchie is one smooth talker! It will have you eating the whole stack before you know what’s happening. And you’ll love every second of it. <3
Did I mention the whole shebang takes 10 minutes?! That’s right. You can go from brioche and eggs to heaven on a plate that fast. Kind of dangerous knowledge, right? I’m tempted to go make another batch as I type this.
The ingredient list is also very basic. The batter is made up of eggs and just a splash of water – that’s it! Once you’ve dipped the brioche in said batter, it gets dipped in sugar, then tossed in a hot pan of coconut oil. YUM! This is where the caramelization happens.
Once cooked and crispy on both sides, you just top each piece with shaved chocolate and a special spicy syrup! Cue the happiness!!!
Holy moly! This french toast, you guys!!! Go make it now… you’re worth it 😉 xoxo
Caramelized Chocolate Coconut French Toast
- 6 (1") slices of brioche bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup shaved chocolate
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco hot sauce
- In a large bowl add eggs and water, whisk until well combined. Pour sugar onto a large flat plate; set aside.
- Heat a frying pan on medium; coat the pan with coconut oil (about 1-2 tablespoons).
- Place a slice of brioche in the egg mixture (if using a large bowl, place as many as you can fit), and let it soak for 2 minutes on each side. Once removed from egg mixture, dip bread into sugar, generously coating both sides.
- Place brioche into frying pan, and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minute per side. Sprinkle a tablespoon of shaved chocolate over each piece of French toast before transferring to a plate.
- Repeat this process until all bread has been dipped and fried, re-coating the pan with oil as you go. Serve warm with spicy syrup.
- For the spicy maple syrup:
- In a small bowl whisk together maple syrup and tabasco. Pour over hot french toast and serve at once.
If you love breakfast as much as I do, check out these other great recipes…
Best Ever Banana Oat Pancakes
Or how about the blueberry pancakes of your dreams?!
If you’re a chocolate lover, these chocolate sour cream donuts are the perfect morning treat!
If buns are more your thing, these triple almond sticks buns have you covered! You can’t choose wrong 😉