Hi friends! Today I’m sharing with you something very near and dear to my heart (and belly!): broccoli rabe, roasted red pepper, and provolone grilled cheese! It’s the meatless meal I crave more than almost any other, and it’s so simple to make that I just know you guys are going to fall hard for it too.The ingredient list for this recipe is small but powerful. I love that. It allows each unique ingredient to shine. And that’s what you want when you’re working with bold, fresh flavors.
The cast of characters include fresh broccoli rabe, roasted red peppers, and provolone cheese, bread, butter, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. That’s it!
The garlicky broccoli rabe explodes with so much attitude and flavor, but is tamed by the sweet roasted red peppers and creamy provolone cheese. Enveloped between 2 pieces of buttery, grilled bread it’s like… HELLO lover.
Easy, flavorful, and sure to please! I hope you love this sandwich as much as we do.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bakerbynature on instagram! Seeing your kitchen creations makes my day.
Broccoli Rabe, Roasted Red Pepper, and Provolone Grilled Cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large head broccoli rabe, cleaned
- 2 large roasted red peppers, cut into long, thin strips
- 8 slices sharp provolone
- 8 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- Bring a large pot of very salted water to a rolling boil. Add broccoli rabe, stir, and let cook for 30 seconds. Remove with tongues and quickly transfer to an ice bath until completely cooled.Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large skillet or dutch oven heat the olive oil. Add the broccoli rase and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for another 3 minutes, or until broccoli has softened slightly. Remove from pan and transfer to a clean plate.
- On one slice of bread layer 1/4 of the broccoli rabe, peppers, and cheese. Top with an additional slice of bread, then carefully but liberally butter both outside sides.
- Heat a large skillet over a medium flame. Once hot add the sandwich and grill on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until the bread is golden and the cheese is bubbling. Repeat until all the sandwiches are made, and serve at once.