I realize that is an obnoxiously drawn out recipe title – especially for something so compact as a cookie – but with so many intensely awesome flavors in one place, I felt it necessary to give them each a little credit.
Brown butter! Pretzels! Toffee! And Peanut butter cups!!! All hanging out in one edible package? I think we should freeze for a minute and get pumped up about this.
With that out of the way, let’s move on to the part where I tell you these cookies – these outrageously giant, gooey, salty, peanut butter cup stuffed cookies – are the very best thing to come out of my oven this month, and perhaps, this year. A big statement for someone who plays with their oven (almost) on the daily. But when it’s the truth, it’s the truth.
The base of these monster cookies is a simple brown sugar/ brown butter dough. It’s soft and sweet and just lovely on its own. But one is a lonely number and I decided to give this base some very fun friends to play bake with.
The dough gets swirled with chopped pretzels and toffee bits, then stuffed with a peanut butter cup right before baking. I used homemade mini PB cups I made with my niece a few weeks ago, but guess what? Reese’s will totally do the job GREAT. Whatever floats your boat 😉
I chose to forcefully press a pretzel into the top of each glob of cookie dough before baking, which is totally optional, but does give an awesome extra crisp-crunch to the finished product.
Now, I should warn you, these cookies are meant to be consumed with good friends (or um… a good tv show!) and lots of milk! Now… go forth and bake giant loaded cookies, It’s the Thursday/Any day thing to do 😉
Brown Butter Salted Pretzel and Toffee Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea sat + more for sprinkling
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted until browned
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup salted pretzels, chopped
- 3/4 cup chocolate toffee bits
- 24 mini peanut butter cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line two large cookie sheets with parchment; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat melt 1 stick of the butter, whisking constantly, until it reaches a golden brown color; remove from heat at once. Add the second stick of butter into the brown butter and stir until complete melted.
- Transfer melted butter to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Add sugars and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and mix for 30 seconds; the eggs will not be totally incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds, mixing just until combined.
- Stir in the chopped pretzels and toffee bits.
- Using a large ice cream scoop or a 2 tablespoon measuring spoon form cookies with the dough and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Press a peanut butter cup in the center of each cookie, then top each with another scoop of dough. Press the dough together lightly around the edges, then press a pretzel in the top of each cookie (optional). Sprinkle with sea salt, then place in the oven to bake for 15-16 minutes, rotating the pan for even color and baking.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with milk!
- Cookies stay good for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container... but I doubt they'll last that long 😉