I realize that is an obnoxiously drawn out recipe title – especially for something so compact as a cookie – but with so many intensely awesome flavors in one place, I felt it necessary to give them each a little credit.
Brown butter! Pretzels! Toffee! And Peanut butter cups!!! All hanging out in one edible package? I think we should freeze for a minute and get pumped up about this.
With that out of the way, let’s move on to the part where I tell you these cookies – these outrageously giant, gooey, salty, peanut butter cup stuffed cookies – are the very best thing to come out of my oven this month, and perhaps, this year. A big statement for someone who plays with their oven (almost) on the daily. But when it’s the truth, it’s the truth.
The base of these monster cookies is a simple brown sugar/ brown butter dough. It’s soft and sweet and just lovely on its own. But one is a lonely number and I decided to give this base some very fun friends to play bake with.
The dough gets swirled with chopped pretzels and toffee bits, then stuffed with a peanut butter cup right before baking. I used homemade mini PB cups I made with my niece a few weeks ago, but guess what? Reese’s will totally do the job GREAT. Whatever floats your boat 😉
I chose to forcefully press a pretzel into the top of each glob of cookie dough before baking, which is totally optional, but does give an awesome extra crisp-crunch to the finished product.
Now, I should warn you, these cookies are meant to be consumed with good friends (or um… a good tv show!) and lots of milk! Now… go forth and bake giant loaded cookies, It’s the Thursday/Any day thing to do 😉
Brown Butter Salted Pretzel and Toffee Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea sat + more for sprinkling
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted until browned
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup salted pretzels, chopped
- 3/4 cup chocolate toffee bits
- 24 mini peanut butter cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line two large cookie sheets with parchment; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat melt 1 stick of the butter, whisking constantly, until it reaches a golden brown color; remove from heat at once. Add the second stick of butter into the brown butter and stir until complete melted.
- Transfer melted butter to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Add sugars and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and mix for 30 seconds; the eggs will not be totally incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds, mixing just until combined.
- Stir in the chopped pretzels and toffee bits.
- Using a large ice cream scoop or a 2 tablespoon measuring spoon form cookies with the dough and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Press a peanut butter cup in the center of each cookie, then top each with another scoop of dough. Press the dough together lightly around the edges, then press a pretzel in the top of each cookie (optional). Sprinkle with sea salt, then place in the oven to bake for 15-16 minutes, rotating the pan for even color and baking.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with milk!
- Cookies stay good for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container... but I doubt they'll last that long 😉
Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE says
Haha sometimes long titles are just necessary! Love how you described the excitement of creating this recipe. Isn’t it funny when you think of a recipe, and then wonder how the heck no one has made it because it is such an amazing combination of goodness?! Love the pretzel finish…pretzels make everything better 😉
Hi Kelly! Yes! Creating is definitely one of the most fun parts. And pretzels DEFINITELY make everything better 🙂 Well, that and peanut butter cups, of course!
Oh, my. SO much deliciousness going on in one cookie! These are irresistible!!!
Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
These cookies look killer, who could resist brown butter, toffee, pretzels, and PB cups in one cookie?!
Amy (Savory Moments) says
Wow – what a flavor and ingredient combination! They look delicious and I love the salty pretzels in there.
Tieghan Gerard says
I am all for crazy tittle and these cookies! Love the salt pretzels with chocolate and browned butter AND peanut butter!!
Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks says
These look epic! I can’t believe how much deliciousness you have packed into one cookie!
Averie @ Averie Cooks says
Salty, sweet, browned butter, pretzels, PB cups, holy moly my kinda cookie! pinned
Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking says
This little Junebug I’m expecting cannot get enough sweet and salty treats lately, so these are right up BOTH of our alleys! Amazing looking cookies, Ashley!