Drawing inspiration from the famous Italian ice cream, these Spumoni Chocolate Chip Cookies are bursting with chocolate, cherries, and pistachios! Bust out your baking sheets and try these delicious cookies asap!
Spumoni-Inspired Chocolate Chip Cookies
Have you ever had Italian spumoni? Essentially, it’s molded gelato, made up of different flavors and colors, usually swirled with dried fruit or nuts. One of the most popular versions features thick layers of cherry, pistachio, and chocolate ice cream. I decided to take this popular flavor combo and incorporate it into chocolate chip cookies.
And honestly… it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. These cookies are outrageously delicious and so easy, too. You get all the flavor of spumoni, no ice cream maker required. That being said, you could – and should – turn these cookies into ice cream sandwiches!
Ingredients for Spumoni Chocolate Chip Cookies
- All-Purpose Flour: I don’t recommend using any other variety of flour for the flour mixture.
- Baking Soda: Helps the cookies spread while baking in the oven.
- Salt: Just a small amount helps balance sweetness while also enhancing the other flavors in this recipe.
- Butter: Be sure to use unsalted butter and bring it to room temperature before baking.
- Sugar: A combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar add sweetness and depth of flavor.
- Vanilla Extract: For the best flavor, be sure to use pure vanilla extract, not imitation or artificial vanilla.
- Almond Extract: Leave out if you don’t like almond flavor.
- Eggs: Be sure to use large eggs and bring them to room temperature before baking.
- Chocolate Chips: Ghirardelli is the brand I recommended (not sponsored) but use whatever brand you enjoy most.
- Pistachios: Chopped pistachios add a vibrant pop of green and delicious flavor. No green food coloring required!
- Dried Cherries: Unlike traditional spumoni that might use maraschino cherries and/or red food coloring, we’ll use dried cherries. In a pinch, dried cranberries will also work, but will change the flavor profile.
How to Make these Cookies
- Cookie Prep: We bake these cookies at a slightly lower than normal temperature. So be sure to preheat your oven to 325 degrees (F). And while it’s heating up, line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Make the Cookie Dough: This cookie dough doesn’t require ANY chilling time! So you can just whip it up and bake. I love to make these in my stand mixer, but a large bowl and a handheld electric mixer will also work.
- Scoop & Bake: Use a large cookie scoop and scoop out heaping mounds of cookie dough. If you make them the same size as I do, you’ll have close to a 1/4 cup of cookie dough. Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes, or until they’re golden brown just around the edges.
- Decorate & Cool: When the cookies come out of the oven, press extra chocolate chips, pistachios, and/or cherries on top! Then cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 20 minutes before serving.
Tools for this Recipe
- Electric Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- Large Cookie Dough Scoop
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Measuring Spoons
- Digital Scale
Spumoni Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 and 3/4 cups (330g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup (213g) light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup (99g) granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract optional
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 11 ounces (312g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped pistachios
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set it aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer, combine the butter and both sugars and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy, scraping down the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, and scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture, beating until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips, pistachios, and cherries, just until evenly combined.
- At this point you can bake right away or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour (no longer or the dough will become too hard to scoop).
- Using a large spring-loaded cookie scoop, scoop heaping 3 tablespoon sized mounds (80g) of cookie dough and roll it into a ball. Place the dough ball on the prepared sheet. Repeat with all dough, leaving 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 12 minutes to 13 minutes, or until golden at the edges but still soft in the middle.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and, using a spatula, carefully tuck in any edges that may have spread too much while baking, creating a perfectly round cookie.
- Press extra chocolate chips on top, if desired. Cool cookies on the baking sheet, placed on a wire rack, for 20 minutes before serving/moving.