Looking for a fun (and delicious) way to smooch Summer goodbye? These easy 6-ingredient funfetti ice cream sandwiches are the answer!!! Bonus: They’re *almost too pretty to eat. Almost 😉
Question: Have you ever made ice cream sandwiches at home before?
You’re probably either thinking 1) YES… and wow are they amazing OR 2) No way… that sounds like a lot of work, fuss, mess, etc etc etc.
If you happen to fall in the latter category, I’m here to tell you some great news… HOMEMADE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES CAN BE EASY! Sorry for the screaming 🙂 But I want to get the point across niiiiice and clear.
The base for these cookies can come together in 10 minutes flat! All you need are a few basic ingredients (butter, cream cheese, flour, sugar, and SPRINKLES) and some patience. See… although the dough comes together quick and effortlessly, you will need to chill it for at least 2 hours. I KNOW. But I promise the hours will fly! Especially if you make the dough right before running errands or catching up on a few episodes of Orange is the new black (currently HOOKED).
Once your dough has sufficiently chilled, all you’ll need to do is scoop, roll, and press into MORE sprinkles 🙂 This is fun work, friends! Feel free to eat nibbles of cookie dough as you go – this recipe is egg free (Read: Safe to gobble, gobble, gobble).
A quick tip! The cookies will look quite under baked when you pull them out of the oven. Don’t worry! The cookies will rest (and firm up) on the hot tray for 15 minutes (exactly, please) before making their way to a cooling rack to finish up. So be sure not to over bake 😉
Once they’ve COMPLETELY cooled, they will be firm but still soft and chewy. You’ll pop them in the freezer for another 2 hours (at least) before filling them with ice cream, rolling them in sprinkles, and digging in!
One more little tip! Although you can eat the ice cream sandwiches right after filling, they will hold together much better if you let them freeze another few hours. Pretty much the hardest part about this recipe is the waiting 😉
With minimal effort and ingredients, these fabulous funfetti ice cream sandwiches are great for birthday party treats… or just because! I loved the fresh flavor strawberry ice cream added to this cold treat, but feel free to sub in vanilla! We tested them with both and can vouch that they’re 100% delicious anyway you stuff them 😉 xo
6-Ingredient Funfetti Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup sprinkles + more for decorating
- 1 gallon strawberry ice cream (you can use vanilla, too!)
- In the body of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the sugar and beat well.
- Add in flour, a small bit at a time, beating in on low speed, just until incorporated. Stir in sprinkles.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- 30 minutes prior to baking, preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out 2 tablespoon sized balls of dough, roll them into rounds, and place them on the cookie sheet. Lightly press each cookie down with the palm of your hand.
- Place pan in the oven to bake for 12-13 minutes. They will still be very soft when you remove them from the oven - that's a good thing!
- Cool on the baking sheet for a full 15 minutes, then very carefully transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Once completely cooled, freeze the cookies for at least 2 hours.
- Once cookies are frozen -
- Place 1/4 cup of slightly softened ice cream on on cookie, top with another, and gently press together. Roll the edges in sprinkles, and transfer to the freezer. Repeat until all cookies have been used. Freeze for at least 2 hours before eating.