Thick creamy guacamole is loaded with crispy bacon, vibrant pomegranate seeds, charred brussels sprouts, and toasted sesame seeds! So much flavor in every bite; it’s a party in your mouth!
Happy Friday everyone! Today I’m joining a few internet friends in celebrating – and surprising – Alyssa from Everyday Maven. Surprise Alyssa! Today is your virtual baby celebration. I couldn’t be more honored to celebrate you 🙂
For this guacamole I really wanted to embrace the season and jam pack it full of vibrant Winter gems. I chose to start with avocados and pomegranates.
Avocados are essential to the guacamole process, and if you’re as lucky as I’ve been, you should have no problem finding gorgeously ripe ones at the grocery store for a pretty decent price.
The pomegranate seeds add a wonderful crunch, but also a kiss of juicy tart flavor and COLOR! I love the pinky/red hue of pomegranate seeds SO much.
The next big player in this guacamole game is brussels sprouts! A weird choice for guac, right?! But I promise you it is 100% AMAZING! You char the sprouts first, which really gives them SO much flavor. Charring the sprouts (in bacon fat!) also makes them really crispy – such a nice touch! Just be sure to let the spouts cool a few minutes before shredding them and tossing them into the guac.
To finish off the guacamole I also added crispy bacon, toasted sesame seeds, chopped red onion, cilantro, lime, and jalapeno! A ton of flavors, but they all melt together beautifully! Try this dip out next time you’re craving guacamole! I know you’ll love it as much as we do. xoxo
Charred Brussels Sprout, Bacon, and Toasted Sesame Seed Guacamole
- 6 ounces brussels sprouts, stems removed and cut in half
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, fried until crispy
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toased
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 large ripe avocados, cut in half and pitted
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- Chop the rough ends off of the brussels sprouts, then carefully cut them in half. Set aside.
- Place the bacon in skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy. Place the bacon on a paper towel lined plate; set aside.
- Add brussels sprouts to the pan you cooked the bacon in, cut side facing down, and cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until they have charred. Flip the brussels sprouts over, add a squeeze of lime to the pan (about 1 slice), and cook on the other side for one minute. Transfer the brussels sprouts to a cutting board. Let them cool for a few minutes, then, using a large sharp knife, roughly chop them. Set aside.
- Roughly chop cooled bacon into small pieces. Set aside.
- Add the sesame seeds to a large skillet over medium-heat; cook for 3-5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to move the seeds around a little.
- Remove the seeds when they darken and become fragrant. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the pomegranate seeds, pitted avocados, remaining lime juice, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño pepper, salt, and cumin. Smash until smooth, then stir in chopped brussels sprouts, bacon, and sesame seeds. Serve with chips!