Soft, super chocolatey sour cream donuts are baked up to pure perfection before taking a dunk in a rich, chocolate glaze! Chocolate lovers – these are sure to be a new favorite!
If you were here right now, I’d invite you to sit with me. I’d pour you a cup of coffee (or wine, if it was past 4…or 2…or noon). I’d chat you up about your day. We’d watch Modern family until Law and Order came on. And then… we’d eat donuts. Lots and lots of donuts! It would be like, the ultimate grown people play-date!
… so just get here already! I need some help with these dang donuts!!!
Sometimes life just calls for donuts. Sometimes it’s because the day is cray-cray crazy and chocolate is needed. Sometimes it’s because you finally got a new donut pan in the mail and that obviously means you gotta bake donuts!!! And then, there are times, when the day calls for a donut for the simple but potent reason that YOU want one. And that, me thinks, is the best reason of all. You deserve it. You like so totally deserve it.
And since it looks like you’re in the market for a donut treat – ahem – please let me introduce you to these double chocolate beauties.
These donuts are light and luscious thanks to our secret ingredient: sour cream! I love baking with sour cream, and it makes these chocolate donuts so soft and moist. It also gives them a little tangy flavor that really compliments the chocolate.
These are the kind of donuts dreams are made of! Also, they go quite good with strawberry milk. I made a glass yesterday because I felt like life needed a pop of pink, and was rewarded with a walk down memory lane. I think it’s impossible to drink strawberry milk and not feel like a kid again…
But I digress! Me… You… These chocolate sour cream donuts… And maybe a tall glass of (very cold) strawberry milk. Let’s DO this!
Because it’s a good day for donuts.
You know why…?
Because everyday is a good day for donuts! And with these donuts you just can’t go wrong 😉 xoxo
Chocolate Sour Cream Donuts
For the Donuts:
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
For the Glaze:
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Chocolate sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Lightly grease a doughnut pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients, then gently pour them into the dry ones. Fold ingredients together until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared doughnut pan, and bake for 13 – 15 minutes, or until the doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Allow doughnuts to cool a few minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling wrack to cool completely.
- While your doughnuts are cooling, make your glaze!
- In a small heatproof bowl combine chocolate and butter. Place the bowl in the microwave and heat on low - in 20 second increments - until butter is completely melted and chocolate can be whisked completely smooth.
- Whisk in half of the confectioners sugar, then add the sour cream. Add the rest of the sugar and a splash or two of milk; just enough to make it thin enough to dip the donuts.
- Dip each cooled doughnut into the warm chocolate topping, then into sprinkles, if using.
- Let doughnuts rest for 10 minutes (in a cool place, if possible) after dipping (so the glaze can harden), then EAT!