Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are thick, chewy, and basically foolproof! A great bar recipe that bakes up in less than 30 minutes! If you’re serving a crowd, simply double the recipe and bake it in a 9 x 13 pan!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
If there’s one thing I know you and I have in common, it’s this: we both really LOVE cookies!
I know this because the 3 most popular recipes on my website are as follows:
But I get that sometimes baking cookies can be frustrating because they spread too much… or not enough… or just don’t come out looking as pretty as you were hoping. Other times they’re simply too time consuming or require ridiculously long chill times. And sometimes, you just don’t feel like rolling a million balls of cookie dough. I get it! Which is why I created this great recipe for thick and chewy cookie bars for you!!!
These Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are:
- Just like your favorite chocolate chip cookies… but in bar form
- Made with basic baking ingredients
- Thick, soft, and so chewy
- Made with brown butter and plenty of vanilla, so they’re extra flavorful
- loaded with gooey chocolate chips
- So easy – no mixer or fancy tools required
- Always a crowd pleasing dessert… trust me, there’s never a crumb left when I take these to a potluck
- A lazy bakers (or a busy bakers!) dream come true
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- The ingredients to make chocolate chip cookie bars is almost identical to the ingredients you’d use for chocolate chip cookies. You’ll need butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and semi sweet chocolate chips.
- To make this recipe extra quick and extra flavorful, we use melted brown butter instead of room temperature butter. If you’ve never browned butter before, don’t worry. You simply melt the butter, then continue to cook it until it’s slightly brown in color and nutty in smell. We also use an extra egg yolk when we add the eggs, which makes the cookies extra chewy.
- Finally, I like to add flaky sea salt on top of the cookie bars to give them a little extra pop! But this is totally optional and may be omitted.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Set your oven: You’ll preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F). Line a 9″ square baking pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Combine Ingredients: In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, sugars, and vanilla. Then whisk in the eggs. And toss in the dry ingredients. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake: Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 28 minutes. Top with extra chocolate chips and sea salt, if desired. Cool for at least one hour before enjoying!
Jump to recipe below!!! And enjoy!
More Cookie Bars:
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie Bars
- Brown Butter and Honey Pistachio Cookie Bars
- Coconut Oil Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars
- Loaded Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
- Gooey Chocolate Chunk Cookie Butter Bars
If you try this recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, let me know! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bakerbynature on instagram! Seeing your kitchen creations makes my day ♥
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Yield 9" Pan
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are thick, chewy, and basically foolproof! A great bar recipe that bakes up in less than 30 minutes! If you're serving a crowd, simply double the recipe and bake it in a 9 x 13 pan!
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, melted until browned
- 1 cup (200 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (60 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 and 1/3 cups (297 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups (9 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for the top, if desired
- Flaky Sea Salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line an 9x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spray lightly with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, then continue to cook it, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Keep an eye here, you don't want burnt butter! Remove from heat and scrape the butter into a large heat proof mixing bowl.
- Whisk in both sugars and mix until well combined. Stir in the vanilla. Then add in the eggs and egg yolk, beating until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, add in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt, mixing until just combined. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 28 to 32 minutes, or until the edges are firm and golden. Press extra chocolate chips on top of the warm blondies, if desired.
- Cool in pan for at least 1 hour before cutting. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt before serving, if desired.
For extra firm cookie bars, you may want to add 2 to 4 minutes onto the bake time. This will provide a less chewy bar.