Eggnog Frosted Gingerbread Cookies
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Eggnog Frosting:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 and 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Gold sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick silicon baking mat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg; beat well. Stir in molasses and vanilla; mix well.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, and salt; mix well to combine. Gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture; stir until just combined.
- Drop cookie dough by tablespoonfuls, leaving 2 inches between each ball.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until cookies spring back when touched lightly. Allow cookies to cool a few minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For the eggnog frosting:
- In a large saucepan bring the brown sugar, eggnog and butter to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Add confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt; mix well. Frost cookies, then add sprinkles (if using).
Recipe by Baker by Nature at https://bakerbynature.com/eggnog-frosted-gingerbread-cookies/