Here we are again – the beginning of the week. Monday creeps up so quickly!
It was a splendid sunny Fall weekend here in NYC. I cheerfully kicked my way through colorful leaves, picked up a pumpkin and some gorgeous mums, and had my first cup of hot cider. How good is life?? How good is Fall?!
I’m grateful for these crisp days that clearly speak the season at hand, yet are bright and inviting enough for a long walks and reading in the park. I’m not ready for the grey cold Blanket that Winter will eventually drape over the city. Please, NO!
I hope you enjoyed some Fall this weekend too; it really is a lovely time of year to get outside.
Now, about these breakfast/ snack bars.
Do you buy those wonderfully marketed, shiny foiled Luna, Cliff, or whatever – other – cleverly – deemed – “you can do it” – bars? I’ve tried a few variations – really wanting to like them as they seem like a great option for a grab and go snack – but I was always left with an odd after taste, or just total flavor dissatisfaction. Also, with prices ranging from 2-4 bucks a bar – they get pricey.
That’s were these babies come in!
Sticky Oat – and – Pine – Nut Bars have the same grab and go abilities, no mystery aftertaste, and keep in your fridge for a week. I found myself looking forward to one (or two) and an apple as an afternoon snack almost everyday since making them.
These sticky treats are really incredible in the taste department; they have that je ne sais quoi quality that makes them sure to be repeatedly made.
The white chocolate is just sweet enough – and just the right amount – to make this indulgence acceptable as an anytime day (or night) snack. The mixture of oats and pine nuts works to keep you full and has a delightful crunch to the overall product. Honey, butter, sugar, and black pepper holds everything together and the pepper gives the sweet bars a spicy little kick.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to grab one of these and a coffee before work.
Happy Monday, Loves. I hope you find beauty and love in everything you do today.
Sticky – Oat – and – Pine – Nut Bars – Food and Wine
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats, preferably thick-cut
- 1 1/2 cups pine nuts (8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line the bottom and two sides with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter with the honey and sugar and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until an amber caramel forms, about 5 minutes. Stir in the oats, pine nuts, pepper and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until the pine nuts just begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for about 20 minutes, until bubbling and browned around the edges. Let the bars cool completely in the pan.
- Run the tip of a knife around the edge of the pan and lift the square from the pan. Cut the square in half, then cut each half into 6 bars. Discard the parchment paper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate at high power at 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Stir in the oil and let cool slightly. Dip the bottom half of each oat bar into the white chocolate and set the bars on the baking sheet. Refrigerate just until the white chocolate is set. If the chocolate looks thin, dip the bars a second time.