It recently dawned on me that I don’t have a whole lot of chicken recipes going on here. Sure, I mean, that one time I made Chicken Caprese Burgers (have you tried them yet?! They’re dreamy) … and that other time I made you 30-Minute Sriracha Chicken and Broccoli Lo Mein (also a must make!) … but that’s really as far as my chicken game goes. What up with that, right? To remedy this lil issue, I give you Rosemary Parmesan Chicken Nuggets!
This is the first of many awesome dinner recipes I have coming your way this month! I’ve decided that although the core of this blog will always (ALWAYS!) be baking and baked goods, mixing it up with some fresh foodie foods doesn’t hurt… right? You guys seem to enjoy real dinner ideas, and so I chalk it up to giving the people what they want.
On that note: If there’s ever anything you really want to see here, holler at your girl! I love hearing what you guys want to see or learn or need help with. I am here for ya!
But let’s focus. Back to the nuggets… or nuggies, as I like to call them. These flavorful little bites couldn’t be better! They’re so easy to make and a ba-jillion times tastier than anything you’ll grab from a drive-thru window. I fancied them up with fresh rosemary (our garden is going BONKERS with it right now), whole wheat panko (the crunch!), and parmesan cheese (my attempt to Italian-ize everything I make). The result? Er my gosh >>> SO GOOD.
While I think kids and toddlers would totally go nuts for these nuggets, I totally urge you to make them for grown folks, too. I served my nuggies with homemade honey mustard and extra lemon wedges but you can serve them with any dipping sauce your little heart desires.
The second time we made these I opted to serve them with homemade marinara sauce and loved it! So go with whatever feels right 😉
Rosemary Parmesan Chicken Nuggets
- 1/4 cup oil (I use olive oil here, but you may use canola or vegetable oil if preferred)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Honey mustard sauce or marinara for dipping, optional
- Place oil in a skillet over medium heat. Allow it to get nice and hot while you prep the chicken.
- Beat the eggs with a teaspoon of water, set aside.
- Place whole wheat flour on a small plate, set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine panko, cheese, salt, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, and lemon zest. You may adjust the seasonings here to your tastes.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes. Roll chicken pieces in the flour. Shake off any excess flour (they should be just lightly covered), then dip each piece in the egg. Allow any excess egg to drip off and back into the bowl, then roll the chicken in the panko mixture until it's completely covered. Repeat this process until all chicken pieces have been covered.
- Place a few chicken pieces in the oil and cook them for about 5 minutes per side, or until they're crispy and golden brown. Repeat until all chicken has been cooked. Serve at once with a dipping sauce of your choice.