Light and incredibly fluffy, these Blueberry Cottage Cheese Pancakes are a game changer! Drizzle with maple syrup and devour.
Summer is the time to get your blueberry on. They’re fresh, they’re juicy, and most importantly – they’re finally affordable! Whether you’re into eating them by the handful or baking them into crumb cake, I highly encourage you to grab a few pints next time you’re at the store. <— Swipe up some cottage cheese, too… because we’re making pancakes!
So now that we have all that fun stuff out of the way, let’s talk pancakes! <—– Also known as my favorite breakfast ever. The idea for this recipe was actually inspired by another recipe of mine: The Blueberry Pancakes of Your Dreams. That flawless pancake recipe is my go-to; my #1; My MVP in the pancake game.
A few weeks ago I found myself cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen (my best friend just moved a few blocks away!), poking around the cabinets and fridge, brainstorming on what to make for breakfast with the ingredients we already had on hand. I allowed the overflowing bowl of fresh blueberries sitting pretty on her counter to be my muse, keeping them on my mind and in close sight while I searched for co-star ingredients to join the party.
Since Laura’s pantry was still fresh and quite bare, I knew a minimalist recipe would work best. From the panty I pulled a bag of whole wheat flour, baking powder, and brown sugar. I was shocked to see she didn’t have any salt, but luckily I carry a tiny jar of sea salt in my purse at all times (hot sauce, too). From the fridge I swiped up a few eggs, a tub of cottage cheese, milk, and butter. My hope? To adapt my famous blueberry pancake recipe into an even healthier one.
Perfect Blueberry Pancakes should be:
- Light √
- Fluffy √
- Full of sweet, buttery flavor √
- Easy to make √
- Impossible to resist √
This recipe checks out on all accounts and then some.
So much berry goodness in every-single-bite! I wouldn’t have my pancakes any other way…
This is definitely a new favorite pancake recipe for me. Soft and buttery, bursting with berries, and hearty enough to keep you full all morning – plus, they’re healthy-ish. In other words, they are to-die-for. Or better yet, to-live-for!
Basically what I’m trying to say is bust out the blueberries and give these Blueberry Cottage Cheese Pancakes a chance! Prediction: you won’t be able to resist going in for seconds. With extra maple syrup… because YUM.
More Pancake Recipes:
Blueberry Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, if using frozen, don't thaw first
- Maple syrup or fresh whipped cream, for serving
- In a large bowl add both flours, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; whisk well to combine.
- In a separate bowl add the eggs and lightly beat them with a whisk. Add in the milk, cottage cheese, and vanilla and beat until well combined. Stir this wet mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring just until everything is combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries, stirring until evenly combined. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a buttered hot pan or griddle, adding only a few at a time so that they do not blend together. Cook for about 3 minutes before flipping them over, or until small bubbles form on top. Cook on the second side until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Repeat with all pancake batter.
- Serve pancakes warm, with syrup or whipped cream, and extra blueberries. See notes for freezing options.