This Easy Peppermint Oreo Truffles Recipe are made with crushed oreos, cream cheese, peppermint extract, and espresso powder. Then they’re dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes. They’re so pretty will make a great gift!
Peppermint Oreo Truffle Recipe
Everyone loves oreo truffles! And with Christmas right around the corner, I wanted to make a fun and festive peppermint version to celebrate the holidays! And while this recipe isn’t anything revolutionary (almost every blogger has a version!), they’re too delicious not to share! So without further ado… let’s make some candy!!!
What I really love about this recipe is how EASY it is! Almost anyone can make them… even my teenage nieces can whip them up like pros! And making them look beautiful is beyond simple. No fancy candy making equipment required! You’ll simply dip them in chocolate and then sprinkle the wet chocolate with crushed candy canes. And viola! You have a stunning candy shop quality treat sure to fly off the dessert table!
Ingredients for Peppermint Oreo Truffles:
- Oreo Cookies: You’ll need 1 standard package of Oreo Cookies, which has 39 cookies. You could also go peppermint crazy and use Peppermint Bark Oreos!
- Cream Cheese: Full-fat cream cheese works best for this recipe. I prefer Philadelphia Brand! Bring your cream cheese to room temperature before using it in this recipe.
- Peppermint Extract: Just a dash gives these oreo balls a delightfully perky peppermint flavor! A small bottle lasts FOREVER! And you can use it for other treats like my 5-Ingredient Peppermint Chocolate Truffles and 5-Ingredient Peppermint Patties! YUM.
- Espresso Powder: While this ingredient is optional, I highly recommend using it! The espresso powder won’t make the truffles taste like coffee. But will enhance the chocolate flavor and make the overall taste of truffle a bit more gourmet. We love King Arthur espresso powder!!!
- Chocolate: When it comes to chocolate, you have options! You can use dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or even white chocolate! But no matter what variety you use, I suggest using high-quality chocolate bars you chop up before melting, and not chocolate chips! That said, you could also use melting wafers made specifically for candy making! If you use those, you can skip the oil listed below.
- Oil: I suggest adding a small amount of coconut oil to the melted chocolate. This will create a solid and shiny coating for the truffles!
How to Make Peppermint Oreo Truffles
- Place the Oreo cookies into a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Add in the cream cheese, peppermint extract, and espresso powder and pulse until completely smooth.
- Scoop the mixture into balls (using a loaded cookie scoop really helps here). Place the cookie balls on a lined baking sheet and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Once the truffles have chilled, combine the chocolate chips and oil in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on low-heat, in 30 second increments, stirring in between each, until chocolate is completely melted and can be whisked smooth.
- Quickly dunk each truffle into the melted chocolate and use a fork to move it around so it’s evenly coated. Use a fork to remove, allowing any excess chocolate to drip back in the bowl. Place back on the prepared baking sheet and immediately sprinkle with the crushed candy canes. Repeat with all of the remaining truffles. Refrigerate until serving!
How to Store Oreo Truffles
Because the oreo mixture includes cream cheese, these truffles do need to be kept refrigerated! So keep them stored in the fridge until you’re ready to store. But they’ll be fine at room temperature for about an hour or so. The good news? They’re make ahead friendly! They’ll keep, stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 2 weeks! And even better, they’ll keep in an airtight freezer-safe container, for up to 2 months! I made a batch of these on December 13 th and they’re already GONE!!! And yes… it’s only December 18 th lol. Time to make a triple batch and put them in the freezer!
More Holiday Chocolate Truffle Recipes:
- Easy Amaretto Chocolate Truffles
- Grand Marnier Chocolate Truffles
- Kahlua Chocolate Truffles
- Easy 5-Ingredient Espresso Truffles
Easy Peppermint Oreo Truffles Recipe
- 39 Oreo cookies (don't remove the cream center!)
- 8 ounce brick full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (use less for a milder peppermint flavor)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or canola oil
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat and set aside.
- Place the Oreo cookies in the body of a blender OR in the body of a food processor and pulse until the cookies are finely ground. Add in the cream cheese, peppermint extract, and espresso powder and pulse until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Scoop the mixture into 1" balls (using a cookie scoop really helps here). Place the cookie balls on the prepared pan and transfer the sheet to the freezer. Freeze for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours (covered). Once the truffles have sufficiently chilled, make the chocolate coating!
- Combine the chopped chocolate and oil in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on low-heat, in 30 second increments, stirring in between each, until chocolate is completely melted and can be whisked smooth. Be sure to keep an eye here since burning chocolate is easy to do!
- Quickly dunk each truffle into the melted chocolate and use a fork to move it around so it's evenly coated. Use a fork to remove, allowing any excess chocolate to drip back in the bowl. Place back on the prepared baking sheet and immediately sprinkle with the crushed candy canes. Repeat with all of the remaining truffles.
- Refrigerate until set before serving. Store the truffles in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 2 weeks.