Happy Friday, my friends! Since I clearly like to dip things in chocolate and tell you to make them// gift them// eat them all, I figured I’d send you off to the weekend with another easy treat perfect for the holidays.
Today: Peppermint Mocha Thin Mints!!! I’m really excited about this one, so let’s just jump right in!
The first step to getting your peppermint mocha mint thin on involves finding, opening, and deconstructing a whole package of oreos. It’s fun work! But also grunt work. Feel free to pass this job onto the little kiddies that want to help “cook”. Just be sure, no matter who ends up handling this stage, they tear apart and de-cream the cookies with care. We want the cookies to stay whole and purdy, so be delicate with em.
Ok. So now we’ve got a whole bunch of naked chocolate cookies at our fingertips…. so! We dip them in the chocolate! This chocolate will be spiked with a dash of peppermint extract, instant espresso (for that mocha kick – wahoo!), and a slip of coconut oil (for shine; you will not taste it). You can melt it down in the microwave OR on the stovetop. Either way, please watch it carefully. No one wants burnt chocolate drama!
Once you’ve melted your peppermint mocha chocolate to silky smooth perfection, it’s time to dip dip dippity dip. You can do this by placing the cookie on a fork, and plunging it in the chocolate. Pull it back out with said fork and BOOM. You’ve got yourself a peppermint mocha thin mint!
You’ll want to sprinkle each cookie with some crushed peppermint candies. I used the classic round peppermints they sell at the store, but if you can find candy canes, I think they would work too. As for the crushing part… I threw my peppermints in the blender. But a sharp knife and a whole lotta patience will work.
Once all your cookies haven been dipped and decorated, all you need to do is sit back and wait. The chocolate has to set before you can serve/eat/gift them, so be sure to keep that in mind. I typically pop them in the fridge for 25 minutes to speed the process up. Works like a charm.
Due to the nature of chocolate, I recommend storing these in a cool environment until needed. This will help keep them solid and pretty. xoxo
Also: You can leave the cream in and make peppermint mocha covered oreos. Equally awesome 😉
Peppermint Mocha Thin Mints
- 1 package Oreo Cookies (cream filling removed)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (add more or less as desired)
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Peppermint candies or candy canes, chopped (I used about 1/2 cup)
- Remove oreos from packaging. Gently open each cookie and remove the cream from both sides; repeat with all cookies.
- Place chopped chocolate, peppermint oil, coconut oil, and espresso powder in a small microwave safe bowl; heat on low for 20 second increments, stirring between each one, until chocolate is completely melted and can be whisked smooth.
- Emerge a cookie half in the melted chocolate, rolling it around with a fork to ensure it's completely covered. Using the fork lift the cookie up out of the chocolate, allowing any excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat this process until all cookies have been covered in chocolate. Sprinkle the still wet chocolate with the crushed peppermint candy (you can go as light or heavy as desired here).
- Allow chocolate to set before eating/serving. You can speed this process up by popping the pan in the fridge for 25 minutes.
These cookies are best stored in a very cool room or in the refrigerator.
Serving Size 1-2 cookies
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.