There’s this really cool thing that happens when you toss spinach, basil, lemon, oil, garlic, and pine nuts in a blender…
THEY TURN INTO FOOD!!! Pesto like food. Pesto that’s gorgeously green, effortlessly vegan, and so flavorful you’ll want to spread // dip // and dunk everything you find into it.
I made this last week when I really wanted to not order take-out, but also was registering a big fat ZERO on the wanting to cook dinner scale. I’ve been kind of not wanting to cook dinner all this week. I dunno what that’s about…
Oh! And I chose not to add cheese to this pesto even though we had some sitting right in the fridge. I’ve been wanting to play mad scientist for a while and see if vegan pesto could actually be good, and I was very rewarded for this effort. No cheese… and still so damn tasty. Who knew?
This pesto + you —————–> Lovers 4ever. Try it and you’ll see what I mean 😉 xoxo
Super Healthy Spinach Basil Pesto (Vegan // Dairy Free // Gluten Free)
- 2 big handfuls of baby spinach leaves (2 cups)
- 1 big handful clean basil leaves (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 5 cloves of garlic, skins and stubby bottom part removed, cut into rough chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional (but adds a great pop of heat!)
- Juice and zest of one small lemon (make sure those pesky seeds don't get in there!)
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Blend the spinach, basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a food processor or strong blender until almost smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl down with a spatula as often as necessary.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil into the mixture while processing until smooth. Feel free to leave this chunky or blend it completely smooth. It's great both ways! Store in a clean airtight container for up to 5 days!