Learn how to make Super Healthy Spinach and Basil Pesto with this easy recipe! 9 simple ingredients create this flavorful dip which is vegan, dairy free, and gluten free!
There’s this really cool thing that happens when you toss spinach, basil, lemon, oil, garlic, and pine nuts in a blender…
THEY TURN INTO FOOD!!! Pesto like food. Pesto that’s gorgeously green, effortlessly vegan, and so flavorful you’ll want to spread it, dip it, and dunk it in and on everything you eat! It’s also can be tossed with pasta for hot pesto or cold pasta salad.
Dairy Free Pesto
I made this last week when I really wanted to not order take-out, but also was registering a big fat ZERO on the wanting to cook dinner scale. I’ve been kind of not wanting to cook dinner all this week. I dunno what that’s about…
Oh! And I chose not to add cheese to this pesto even though we had some sitting right in the fridge. I’ve been wanting to play mad scientist for a while and see if vegan pesto could actually be good, and I was very rewarded for this effort. No cheese… and still so damn tasty. Who knew?
This pesto + you = Lovers 4ever. Try it and you’ll see what I mean 😉 xoxo
More Pesto Recipes:
If you try this recipe for Super Healthy Spinach Basil Pesto, please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bakerbynature on instagram! Seeing your creations seriously makes my day ♥
Super Healthy Spinach Basil Pesto (Vegan // Dairy Free // Gluten Free)
- 2 big handfuls of baby spinach leaves (2 cups)
- 1 big handful clean basil leaves (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 5 cloves of garlic, skins and stubby bottom part removed, cut into rough chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional (but adds a great pop of heat!)
- Juice and zest of one small lemon (make sure those pesky seeds don't get in there!)
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Blend the spinach, basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a food processor or strong blender until almost smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl down with a spatula as often as necessary.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil into the mixture while processing until smooth. Feel free to leave this chunky or blend it completely smooth. It's great both ways! Store in a clean airtight container for up to 5 days!