This Easy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad is ready in about 10 minutes! Made with just basic 5 ingredients you probably have in the kitchen right now! This is the perfect side dish for Summer parties, picnics, or potlucks!!!
Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
If you like easy pasta salad recipes, you’re going to love today’s new recipe! Because this pesto tortellini salad is one of those recipes you’ll find yourself making over and over again. We brought it to a 4th of July party last year and it was one of the first dishes to go!
- Cheese Tortellini: Any brand you enjoy will work here!
- Pesto: You can use homemade or store bought basil pesto. Or try my super healthy spinach basil pesto, which is vegan and made without parmesan cheese.
- Cherry Tomatoes: But in a pinch, chopped whole tomato or even sundried-tomatoes will work!
- Red Onion: Finely diced. If you’re not a fan of onion, feel free to omit. Or replace it with red bell pepper or even roasted red peppers. Another option is cucumber!
- Mini Marinated Mozzarella Cheese Balls: You can usually find these in the cheese case at the grocery store. If you can’t find the marinated the variety marinated in olive oil, the ones in water will work. Just drain them well.
How to make Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Bring a large pot of water a rolling boil. Add in the tortellini. Do NOT cook tortellini according to package instructions. Instead, boil for exactly 1 and 1/2 minutes. Then drain and rinse with cold water.
- Place drained tortellini in a large bowl. Add in the pesto, tomatoes, onion, and mozzarella. Toss to coat.
- Serve at once, or cover and place in the fridge until needed.
What to Serve with?
This is delicious and heartier enough to serve on its own! But you can also pair it with fruit, grilled veggies, sandwiches, meat, or even fish. Below are a few of our favorite recipes to pair tortellini salad with:
Can pasta salad be made ahead of time?
It sure can be! As long as you don’t overcook the tortellini, this pasta salad is very make ahead friendly. Because it contains dairy, it should be stored in the fridge until needed. You can eat it cold or at room temperature.
How long will pasta salad last?
This pesto tortellini salad will keep, out of the fridge, for about 2 hours. Just be sure to keep it out of direct sunlight, and toss it once in a while to keep it looking fresh.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, store them in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 5 days. We love making a batch at the beginning of the week so we can enjoy a bowl everyday for lunch! Sometimes we toss grilled chicken or shrimp on top for a heartier meal. I think roasted chickpeas would also be a delicious addition!
Pro Tips: I do not recommend freezing this recipe. If it’s kept out of the fridge for more than 2 and 1/2 hours, I’d recommend discarding any leftovers.
More Summer Salad Recipes:
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE FOR EASY PESTO TORTELLINI PASTA SALAD, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW, AND DON’T FORGET TO SNAP A PIC AND TAG IT #BAKERBYNATURE ON INSTAGRAM! SEEING YOUR CREATIONS MAKES MY DAY ♥
Easy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- (1) 20 ounce bag cheese tortellini
- 1 cup pesto
- 1 and 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- (1) 12 ounce container marinated mozzarella balls, drained
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add tortellini and cook for 1 and 1/2 minutes. Do not over cook!
- Drain and rinse under cold water until cool.
- Place tortellini in a large serving bowl. Add in pesto, tomatoes, cheese, and onion. Toss well to coat.
- Serve at once, or cover and place in the fridge for up to 5 days.