Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan Chocolate Chunk Blondies are chewy, crunchy, and loaded with gooey pockets of chocolate! The bourbon gives them a subtle kick without being overpowering! This easy and crowd-pleasing dessert recipe is perfect for holiday parties! And don’t worry about the bourbon getting you tipsy… it’s only a small amount and cooks out during the baking process.
Bourbon Pecan Blondies
Say hello to my new favorite Fall recipe: BROWN BUTTER BOURBON PECAN CHOCOLATE CHUNK BLONDIES!
This recipe is heavily inspired by my internet-famous brown butter bourbon pecan chocolate chunk cookies! Have you made them yet?! They’re seriously AMAZING!
But with the holidays quickly approaching, I knew I wanted to create a blondie version that would be equally beloved! The main difference between these two recipes? These blondies are So much easier! That’s because unlike the cookie recipe, you don’t need to chill the butter, or the cookie dough, or roll the cookies and bake individual trays! Instead, you’ll simply brown the butter, combine all of the ingredients into one bowl, scrape the batter into a baking dish, and bake for 20 minutes. It’s that easy!
These brown butter blondies are perfect for holiday parties and cookie trays! And they travel great, especially when they’ve fully cooled.
Ingredients for Blondies
- butter: unsalted butter works best for baking, especially when you’re browning the butter.
- light brown sugar: but dark brown sugar can work!
- one egg plus one egg yolk: discard the egg white, or place it in a storage container and pop it in your fridge for a future use.
- bourbon: I use bulleit bourbon because that’s what we have on our bar cart. But I think any variety will work! Not a big drinker? Pick up a mini bottle at the liquor store! They’re usually located near the checkout and are perfect for baking recipes that call for small amounts. Or buy a big bottle and try some of my other recipes like bourbon molasses cookies or cinnamon apple bourbon hand pies!
- vanilla extract: a small amount enhances all of the other flavors.
- flour: binds all of the ingredients together. Use all-purpose flour for best results.
- salt: a dash of salt balances out all of the flavors.
- cinnamon: adds a subtle spice that goes great with the bourbon, pecans, and chocolate.
- toasted pecans: toast them in the oven or on your stovetop then let them cool before chopping. and chocolate chunks: but you could easily use chocolate chips instead.
What is Brown Butter?
Brown butter is simply regular butter that has been cooked just long enough to toast the milk solids. Basically all you’re doing is melting the butter and then continuing to cook it a little longer. It takes about 5 minutes and enhances almost any recipe that calls for butter.
How to make Bourbon Pecan Blondies
- Preheat Oven: You’ll want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F) at least 30 minutes prior to baking!
- Brown the Butter: This is basically just melting the butter, but then continuing to cook it until it’s golden brown and smells slightly nutty.
- Combine Ingredients: Just be sure not to over mix! Other wise your blondies will be cakey!
- Bake: But be sure not to OVER bake! About 24 to 28 minutes should do it. Visually, you’ll want the edges to be firm and golden and the center to be just slightly wobbly.
- Cool: Ok, so this is the hardest part! You’ll need to cool in pan for at least 1 hour before cutting. But I prefer to cool completely in the pan and then slice! This helps the blondies cut into neat and tidy squares.
Can I skip the bourbon?
This recipe was developed specifically to include bourbon. So if you’d prefer to skip it, I would suggest you try my White Chocolate Butter Pecan Blondies, instead. They’re very similar, and you can simply use chocolate chunks instead of the white chocolate chips.
Thick, chewy, and exploding with flavor, these Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan Chocolate Chunk Blondies are going to be in heavy rotation this holiday season! They’ll stay chewy and delicious for several days. But my favorite way to serve them is warm with a scoop of ice cream on top.
- Chocolate Cranberry Walnut Blondies
- Brown Butter Espresso Toffee Blondies
- Chewy Brown Butter M&M Blondies
- Brown Butter Walnut Chocolate Chip Blondies
Brown Butter Bourbon Butter Pecan Blondies
Yield 8x8 pan
Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan Chocolate Chunk Blondies are chewy, crunchy, and loaded with gooey pockets of chocolate! The bourbon gives them a subtle kick without being overpowering! This easy and crowd-pleasing dessert recipe is perfect for holiday parties! And don't worry about the bourbon getting you tipsy... it's only a small amount and cooks out during the baking process.
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted until browned
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 and 1/2 Tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus one egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Spray parchment, and any exposed pan, lightly with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter until browned (see post for more on this if needed).
- Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes, then scrape the butter into a large heat proof mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the brown sugar and mix until well combined. Stir in the bourbon and vanilla. Then add in the egg and egg yolk, beating until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour, cinnamon, and salt, mixing until just combined. Finally, fold in the pecans and chocolate. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 24 minutes, or until the edges are firm and golden and the center is just slightly wobbly.
- Cool in pan for at least 1 hour before cutting. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt before serving, if desired.