These Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are thick, chewy, and loaded with gooey chocolate. No one will guess they’re vegan!
Cookies are one of my favorite things to bake, eat, and gift. There’s nothing like the look on someones face when you present them with a fresh batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies. Warm and sweet and gooey. Seriously… what’s not to love?
More than a few of my friends live vegan lifestyles, inspiring me to create a chocolate chip cookie they can indulge in worry free.
After exactly 7 recipes fails, these babies were born!!! And you guys, they are the most wonderful vegan chocolate chip cookies ever. REALLY!
Here’s what you’ll need to bake these vegan chocolate chip cookies in your own kitchen:
- coconut oil
- light brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- coconut milk
- unsweetened applesauce
- all-purpose flour (be sure not to pack your flour)
- baking soda
- and vegan chocolate chips
For this recipe I do NOT recommend making any substitutions!
The first ingredient called for in this recipe is coconut oil. It is very important your coconut oil is solid before you begin making the cookie dough. If you live in a considerably warm climate, you may need to place your coconut oil in the fridge to get it into a solid but scoopable state.
The cookie dough should look like this ↓↓↓. If your dough appears too sticky, add in a little flour; if your dough appears too firm, add in a little more coconut milk.
I like to press a few extra chocolate chips on top of the warm cookies right when they come out of the oven. This step is optional. Personally I can never have too much chocolate in and ON my cookie.
Vegan chocolate chip cookies that don’t taste one bit vegan. You’re welcome 😉
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bakerbynature on instagram! Seeing your kitchen creations makes my day. ♥
The Most Wonderful Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever
Thick and chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies. These are wonderful!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid (be sure it is not melted at all)
- 1 and 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (I like to use the thicker Thai variety, but any coconut milk will work)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (be sure not to pack your flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla, beating until well combined. Add in the coconut milk and applesauce and whisk until well combined; set aside. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; whisk well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and whisk until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop two tablespoon sized mounds of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, leaving a few inches between each cookies for spreading. Bake for 9 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the centers have set. Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
If the dough appears too sticky, add a little more flour, one tablespoon at a time; if the dough appears too dry, add a tablespoon of coconut milk.
Serving Size one cookie
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.