These delicious Butter Pecan Slice and Bake Cookies are so easy and made with just 7 ingredients! These buttery shortbread cookies are loaded with crunchy pecans and then dunked in sweet chocolate. These cookies are so good with a cup of coffee or tea!
Butter Pecan Slice & Bake Cookies
Last week was CRAZY cold (hello, polar vortex) and all I wanted to do was stay home and bake cookies. And so that’s exactly what I did! Ok, I made some comforting slow cooker chili, too. But other than that, it was all cookies all the time!
We baked a lot of old favorites, but also tested a few new cookie recipes I’ve been wanting to play with. Including these butter pecan slice and bake cookies! As you probably already know we LOVE all things butter pecan (proof: butter pecan fudge, butter pecan blondies, and brown butter pecan cookies). So I couldn’t wait to take this classic flavor and incorporate it into an easy slice and bake cookie recipe!
What Ingredients do I need to make slice and bake butter pecan cookies?
Only 7 very simple ones you probably already have in your kitchen! To make this cookie recipe you’ll need:
- pecans: we will soak the pecans in water for 30 minutes… this makes it easy for you to slice the dough before baking.
- unsalted butter: in a pinch, salted butter may be used. but be sure your butter is at room temperature before baking!
- light brown sugar: you dark brown sugar, if you prefer.
- an egg: at room temperature.
- all-purpose flour
- a dash of cinnamon
- and chocolate: you can use any variety you’d like here! White chocolate, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate are all delicious options! Just be sure to use a high-quality brand such as Lindt chocolate.
Can you believe that’s it?! Just 7 ingredients to make this super impressive recipe. The chocolate and pecans are definitely the most costly ingredients on the list, but personally I think these cookies are worth the splurge.
How to make Slice & Bake Cookies?
For more Pecan Recipes:
- Overnight Pecan Pie French Toast
- Chocolate Pecan Biscotti
- Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Maple Pecan Banana Muffins
- Easy Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Turtles
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE FOR BUTTER PECAN SLICE AND BAKE COOKIES, LET ME KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND DON’T FORGET TO SNAP A PIC AND TAG IT #BAKERBYNATURE ON INSTAGRAM! SEEING YOUR KITCHEN CREATIONS MAKES OUR DAY.
Butter Pecan Slice and Bake Cookies
- 1 cup pecans, shelled
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, optional
- 8 ounces quality chocolate, chopped
- Place the pecans in a small bowl and cover with water; set aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain the pecans well and place them on a paper towel to air dry while you assemble the cookie dough.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer, combine the butter and brown sugar and beat on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add in the egg and beat until combined. Add in the flour, cinnamon, pecans, and vanilla (if using) and beat until combined. Your dough should be stiff.
- Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of flour over a clean work surface. Scrape the cookie dough onto the surface and gently knead it for 30 seconds. Divide the dough in half, then roll each portion of cookie dough into a log that's roughly 2" in diameter. Wrap each log tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or up to 5 days).
- When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place it on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice the logs of cookie dough into 1/4" rounds. Place the cookies 1/2" apart on the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove the oven and place the pan on a cooling rack. Cool for at least 15 minutes before removing.
- In the meantime, make the chocolate coating.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. If using the microwave method, place the chopped chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl. Melt in the microwave, on low power, in 15 second increments, stirring after each increment until completely melted and smooth.
- Dip each cookie halfway into the chocolate then return to the lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt or additional chopped pecans, if desired. Allow the chocolate to set before serving. To speed this up, place the baking sheet into the refrigerator. Once set, serve and enjoy! These are really good with coffee or tea.