An easy and absolutely delicious recipe for Overnight Pecan Pie French Toast!
Pecan Pie French Toast Recipe
Happy Friday! The weekend is just hours away and you know what that means, right?! BRUNCH. AKA the best meal in the entire world.
3 of my girlfriends are in town for the weekend and I can’t wait to surprise them with this overnight pecan pie french toast on Saturday morning. This is the ultimate holiday brunch recipe!!! It’s super easy, super impressive, and – of course – super delicious. It also goes great with mimosas and coffee, which are both brunch essentials in my opinion!
Let’s talk about ingredients. To make this overnight pecan pie french toast you’ll need: french bread, milk, heavy cream, eggs, vanilla, brown sugar, maple syrup, corn syrup, and pecans. You should be able to easily find all of these ingredients at your local grocery store, and with any luck… you may already have them in your kitchen! The french bread is soaked in a vanilla cream mixture overnight which provides incredible taste and texture. Once it’s soaked overnight you’ll coat your baking dish in butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, and pecans! As the french toast bakes, one side becomes encrusted with the pecans while the other side slowly caramelizes… it’s so dreamy!
What I really love about this recipe is how perfect it is for sharing. Once it comes out of the oven, it’s ready to go. You don’t even need to serve it with syrup! It’s 100% sweet enough on its own.
Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success:
- I highly suggest using French bread for this recipe, however if you cannot find it, brioche would be a good substitute. I don’t recommend using sandwich bread, since it’s very thin and may become soggy as it soaks overnight.
- You can make 90% of this recipe ahead of time, which is perfect for busy hosts. OXO’s Glass 3 Qt Baking Dish with Lid is perfect for this recipe! The super sturdy raised lid makes it easy to assemble and store stress free. I’ve been using this dish for everything from french toast to sheet cake to lasagna! I can’t tell you how many times I tried wrapping a dish with foil only to find something in my fridge fell on top and ruined the presentation. OXO was kind enough to send me their 14 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set and I use it every single day! It’s perfect for holiday cooking, baking, and gifting!
- You’ll want to soak the bread in a large, shallow bowl OR you can use a second 3 Qt baking dish, which is what I did. It’s very important that the bread isn’t overlapping as it soaks and that each piece is covered in the vanilla cream mixture.
- For a genuine pecan pie flavor, I suggest using maple syrup and corn syrup. That said, if you only have one on hand, you may use ALL corn syrup or ALL maple syrup.
- Once baked, this overnight pecan pie french toast is best served right away. However it will keep, covered tightly in the fridge, for up to 3 days.
- For an extremely decadent treat, serve with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream!
Pecan pie in french toast form… what are you waiting for? Make this ASAP and enjoy:)
More French Toast Recipes:
If you try this Overnight Pecan Pie French Toast, let me know! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bakerbynature and #holidaybakingbonanza on instagram!
Overnight Pecan Pie French Toast
Yield 4 servings
A super easy recipe for Overnight Pecan Pie French Toast!
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 large eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 8 slices
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a large bowl combine the milk, cream, eggs, yolks, and vanilla, beat well and set aside. Arrange sliced bread in a large shallow bowl. Pour the liquid mixture over the bread. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake...
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Remove from heat and whisk in the brown sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, and pecans.
- Spread this mixture evenly across the bottom of a 3 quart casserole dish. Carefully arrange the soaked bread on top. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then serve warm!