Honey Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins are sweet, just a little bit spicy, and SO flavorful! Pair these savory cornbread muffins with soup, chili, or barbecue!
Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
Lately I’ve been receiving a lot of requests for savory recipes, and I’m more than happy to accommodate! It’s fun to shake things up… and we can’t eat dessert for every meal.
Or can we…?
Today’s recipe for Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins is actually sweet and savory. So it’s the best of both worlds! The muffins are flavored with brown butter (!!!), brown sugar, and honey. They also have two whole jalapenos – which adds a subtle but spicy kick. Because I’m a “more or is more” kind of gal, I like to drizzle the warm muffins with extra honey. And butter, of course.
Can you say YUM? ↓
Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success:
- If you’d like to reduce the heat in this recipe, feel free to cut the jalapeno amount in half.
- Because cold ingredients don’t bond, you’ll want to make sure you bring your eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream to room temperature before baking.
- Use fresh jalapenos! I don’t recommend using pickled jalapenos.
- For a cute presentation, top each cornbread muffin with a jalapeno slice right before baking.
- Be sure not to over bake! Just like when you’re baking regular muffins or cupcakes, you want to bake these just until set. Over baking leads to dry cornbread muffins.
- In my opinion, these honey jalapeno cornbread muffins are best eaten warm, but they’ll “keep” in an airtight container for 48 hours.
Perfect for casual picnics, Summer barbecues, weekday snacks, and holiday meals, these Honey Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins are sure to be in heavy rotation year round! What occasion will you bake them for first?!
If you try this recipe for Honey Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bakerbynature on instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day ♥
More Jalapeno Recipes:
- Bacon, Pepper Jack, and Jalapeno Scones
- Bacon and Cheddar Stuffed Jalapeno Soft Pretzels
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Four Cheese Stuffed Jalapeños
Honey Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
Yield 12 muffins
Moist and flavorful Honey Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins!
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
1/4 cup honey
5 and 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted until browned, cooled slightly
2 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 12 regular muffin cups with non-stick liners; set aside. In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add in the buttermilk, sour cream, egg, egg yolk, and honey. Use a fork to lightly mix these ingredients together, then use a rubber spatula to fold the wet ingredients into the dry ones, stirring just until incorporated (do not over mix). Fold in the browned butter and jalapenos and stir until just combined. Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Place the pan on a cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm, with extra honey and butter.
Courses Breakfast, Sides, Snacks