Although I have no issue polishing off an entire pan (read: pound) of perfectly seared scallops, I also think they’re a total gem when incorporated properly into simple, seasonal recipes. And this pasta is just that! It’s shines in its simplicity, and really allows all of its spectacular ingredients to hold their own. Which is important when you’re using good ingredients! You want to taste them all.
The sauce for this pasta is light and just slightly creamy, thanks to parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and just a smidgen of butter and cream. It does the job without going overboard on the fatty fat stuff. Which if you’re anything like me, is totally a good thing. Spring is coming 😉
The other star ingredients of this dish are shallots, asparagus, prosciutto, and scallops. These guys totally bring the flavor! And add an exciting amount of texture to the dish as well. All good things!
I topped each bowl with one scallop since we were serving a large group, but if you’re making this for just a few, feel free to be more generous with those babies and pile on 3 or 4 – I promise your guests won’t complain a bit.
*If you want some perfectly seared scallops, just follow this recipe!
This pasta makes for great leftovers, but I would recommend eating all of the scallops on the first day (or in like, the first 5 minutes), as that’s when they’ll truly shine the most. Also, feel free to add more cream/ butter/ or cheese if you want a really creamy pasta. I found the portions I’ve listed below to result in a just barely creamy consistency that we personally LOVE (and feel less guilty eating 3 bowls of), but go on and use a heavy hand with that butter if it makes ya happy 😉 It’ll be a delicious pasta experience either way.
Spaghetti with Asparagus, Prosciutto, and Perfectly Seared Scallops
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 slices prosciutto, cut in half then thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 8 perfectly seared scallops (link to recipe in the post)
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.
- While the water for you pasta is boiling, make the sauce!
- In a large skillet, melt butter and oil over medium-low heat; add shallot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus and lemon juice; increase heat to medium; sauté for another 5-6 minutes, or until asparagus becomes tender but still has a good crisp to it. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, and prosciutto; cook another 1-2 minutes. Add cream; bring to a gentle simmer.
- Pour sauce over pasta; add Parmesan, and season generously with salt and pepper. Add a little reserved pasta water to thin sauce if needed. Top with scallops and additional Parmesan, and serve immediately.