This Lemon Garlic Parmesan Asparagus is a quick and easy side dish that’s ready in less than 20 minutes! Perfect with grilled meat, seafood, or a ball of burrata and some charred bread! No matter what you serve it with, I just know you’re going to love this recipe!
Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
I come from a long line of asparagus lovers! Seriously, I can eat an entire bunch of asparagus in one sitting. And if I’m having my family over, I’ll often roast 3… 4… or even 5 bunches for dinner! And even when I make a huge quantity, I can always count on my brothers fighting over the last few last stalks!
My secret to getting people to fight over veggies? Make them SUPER flavorful! And for asparagus, that means buying super fresh asparagus and roasting it JUST until it’s tender! And then finishing it off with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and plenty of parmesan cheese!
So simple, and yet, it’s the perfect recipe!
How to Make Roasted Asparagus
- The first step is to preheat your oven! You’ll set it to 425 degrees. And you’ll want to do this at least 20 minutes before you plan on popping your sheet pan in the oven. You want your oven to be fully preheated, so that it’s nice and hot!
- To save on dirty dishes, place your asparagus right on a parchment paper lined baking sheet! Then drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and lemon zest, then just toss to coat! If you don’t like spice, omit the crushed red pepper flakes! Once you’ve tossed the asparagus, you’re ready to bake!
- Don’t over bake! Seriously, because we’re baking at such a high temperature, the asparagus only needs about 9 minutes in the oven. Give or take a minute or two depending on how thick/thin your asparagus stalks are.
- Over baked asparagus will be soft and mushy, which is truly a sin! I suggest taste testing around 8 minutes, then cooking a few more minutes only if needed.
- While you’re cooking the asparagus in the oven, slice a lemon in half and finely grate some parmesan cheese. As soon as you remove the baking sheet from the oven, douse the asparagus with lemon juice and then sprinkle with parmesan.
- Serve warm, with extra parmesan and lemon on the side! I also like to serve some grilled bread, to sop up the excess of lemon/oil/parmesan that collects on the bottom of the serving platter! Trust me on this!
Can I double this Recipe?
Absolutely, you can! You can actually double or even triple this recipe! Just multiply the ingredients to suit your needs!
Just be sure your have a sheet pan large enough to lay the asparagus in an even layer. Or roast on multiple pans! Because If you have the stalks of asparagus piled on top of each other, they won’t roast evenly. And if you pack them too closely together, they could get soggy while roasting.
Can I make this ahead of time?
While asparagus will technically “keep” in the fridge for 3 days, it’s best served straight from the oven.
That’s because as the asparagus sits, it softens quite a bit. And of course, it gets cold. Which means you’ll need to reheat it. And when asparagus is reheated, it often because soggy.
So if you can, I highly recommend making this dish right before serving! Especially since it only takes about 20 minutes in total. Your tastebuds will thank you!
What about using Frozen Asparagus?
Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this! I’ve never had a successful experience roasting frozen asparagus. Same goes for canned.
Fresh asparagus is definitely the way to go! So keep this recipe in mind for when you can easily find fresh asparagus as the grocery store. Or better yet, from the markers market!
So get ready for this to be your most requested asparagus recipe ever! Seriously, nothing neats roasted lemon garlic and parmesan asparagus! So jump to the recipe and let me know what you think after you’ve tried it!
More Side Dish Recipes:
- Extra Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges
- German Potato Salad
- Cheesy Bacon Green Bean Casserole
- Crispy Honey Mustard Brussels Spouts with Bacon
- Baked Garlic and Herb Potato Wedges
- Broccoli and Cheddar Twice Baked Potatoes
Lemon Garlic and Parmesan Asparagus
- 1 pound Asparagus, ends removed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus. Then place the asparagus on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil, then sprinkle with lemon zest, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Toss well to coat, then arrange the asparagus into a single layer on the sheet pan.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, or just until tender.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle with lemon juice and then sprinkle with parmesan. Serve at once!
- If your oven runs hot, preheat to 400 degrees (F).
- If you prefer not to bake at high heat with olive oil, a neutral high-heat friendly cooking oil may be used instead.