Toasted Marshmallow Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes are a MUST try this holiday season!
Truth be told, when it comes to Thanksgiving, I could care less about turkey…
I’m all about those sides and fixings! I’m happy as a clam filling my plate with mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, and of course, sweet potato casserole! Typically I make my sweet potato casserole with a buttery crumb topping, but this year I decided to bust out the marshmallows and throw convention of the wind.
The result? Toasted Marshmallow Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes! Flavored with real maple syrup, butter, vanilla, and cinnamon. Good luck eating just one!
These toasted marshmallow twice-baked sweet potatoes are so much more fun than the typical casserole dish presentation. And the recipe doubles quite easily! Which is a very good thing, because they will FLY off your table. I made them for a Friendsgiving last week and they were such a hit!
Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success:
- I find medium-sized sweet potatoes work best for this recipe. If you can only find very small or large varieties, you’ll need to adjust the baking time.
- When scooping out the sweet potato flesh, be very gentle. The skins are thin and tear easily. If it feels like the skin might tear, scoop out only 1/2 of the flesh.
- Since there are so few ingredients in this recipe, I suggest using the best quality you can find or afford. I love using grade b maple syrup, but grade a maple syrup will also work wonderfully. Just try to avoid using pancake syrup, which is inferior in taste.
- If you can’t find mini marshmallows in your local grocery store, you can find them here.
- Stay close for the broiling stage, as the marshmallows can go from toasted to burnt VERY fast.
- Serve right away! These toasted marshmallow twice-baked sweet potatoes are best warm.
- For an extra pretty presentation, drizzle toasted marshmallow twice-baked sweet potatoes with a little maple syrup right before serving.
Skip the sweet potato casserole this year and try these Toasted Marshmallow Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes instead! I promise you won’t regret it 😉
If you try this recipe for Toasted Marshmallow Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes, let me know! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bakerbynature on instagram! Seeing your kitchen creations makes my day. ♥
Toasted Marshmallow Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes, washed well and dried
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil OR canola oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F). Line a baking sheet with foil. Rub the sweet potatoes with oil, prick them in a few places with a fork, then place them on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 1 hour, or until tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully slice each sweet potato in half lengthwise and gently scrape 3/4's of the flesh into a large bowl. Add in the softened butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; whisk well to combine.
- Divide the sweet potato filling evenly among the 8 skins. Cover the top of each sweet potato with mini marshmallows, pressing them into the filling so they stay in place as they bake. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the broiler on and and broil for 1 minute, or until the mini marshmallows are toasted. Stay close during this step as the marshmallows can go from toasted to burnt VERY quickly. Serve warm.
You may also enjoy: